Expand my Community achievements bar.

queue topic default duration vs project queue setup default duration

Level 10
Here's the short summary: 1) I feel I need the queue topic's default duration field to be blank and it's not (comes in at 1 day when I kickstart). 2) If I go in and change that field to be blank, it won't save that way (goes back to 1 day). Here's the long story: Has anyone ever used a kickstart to create new queue topics into existing queues? I was trying one this week and the queue topics are coming in with a default duration of 1 day, even though I'm leaving the field blank. I'd like to have them look to the project's queue setup default duration -- which I set up thinking that all queue topics with a blank duration would look to the project queue setup's duration, so I could change the project field and have it affect all queue topics that don't have a duration field. Is this incorrect thinking? I mean, I'll go in and create the 14 new queue topics I need, but I feel kind of annoyed to do this instead of using a kickstart :) .... Can anyone help? -skye
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, Rather than leaving it blank, perhaps you could use the kickstart's #set ("pound set") syntax to look up the default value. Although our Excel Updater solution doesn't support Queue Topics, we do have a help file that explains the #set "https://store.atappstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/08-Tutorial-set-vlookups.pdf" concept . Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
right but if I look up the default value at the project level, is it going to permanently set it that way? Because I really do want it blank, which is the quality i understood it needed to have in order to default to the project level value. So for example, if the project value is 5 days, I wouldn't want it to look to that and set the queue topic at 5 days. I'd want it to keep blank, so that when I change the project level to 6 days, I don't have to worry about the queue topics. -skye

Level 10
Ahh...gotcha Skye, This is now sounding like a bug: if you can indeed manually enter a Queue Topic with a blank Duration (so that it instead defers to the current default field at the Project level; which is helpful, should you then decide to modify that value over time) but can neither kickstart a blank Duration nor clear it manually after the fact, I'd suggest you raise a ticket. I'd also suggest trying an API call to clear it; sometimes the API (for better or worse) is not subject to the front end business rules that kick in when working through the user interface. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
yep I raised a ticket over the weekend. The ASE confirms that I can't make the duration on a queue topic blank after it's been filled in (I asked him if he was sure that wasn't a bug because it's just so... weird). And they're working with me to try and make it blank in a kickstart (the first suggestion hasn't worked so we're still working on it). Thank you for helping! -skye

Level 10
You bet, Skye, But there's definitely some voodoo going on: I just tried several attempts via the API to set the default duration, but no joy; it's a LAZY_READ (which is always a bit suspect), and is behaving as if it is write-only...but since you can edit it through the front end, that dinna make sense. Curious. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore