Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

queue topic default duration vs project queue setup default duration

Level 10
Here's the short summary: 1) I feel I need the queue topic's default duration field to be blank and it's not (comes in at 1 day when I kickstart). 2) If I go in and change that field to be blank, it won't save that way (goes back to 1 day). Here's the long story: Has anyone ever used a kickstart to create new queue topics into existing queues? I was trying one this week and the queue topics are coming in with a default duration of 1 day, even though I'm leaving the field blank. I'd like to have them look to the project's queue setup default duration -- which I set up thinking that all queue topics with a blank duration would look to the project queue setup's duration, so I could change the project field and have it affect all queue topics that don't have a duration field. Is this incorrect thinking? I mean, I'll go in and create the 14 new queue topics I need, but I feel kind of annoyed to do this instead of using a kickstart :) .... Can anyone help? -skye
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Skye, Rather than leaving it blank, perhaps you could use the kickstart's #set ("pound set") syntax to look up the default value. Although our Excel Updater solution doesn't support Queue Topics, we do have a help file that explains the #set "https://store.atappstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/08-Tutorial-set-vlookups.pdf" concept . Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
right but if I look up the default value at the project level, is it going to permanently set it that way? Because I really do want it blank, which is the quality i understood it needed to have in order to default to the project level value. So for example, if the project value is 5 days, I wouldn't want it to look to that and set the queue topic at 5 days. I'd want it to keep blank, so that when I change the project level to 6 days, I don't have to worry about the queue topics. -skye

Level 10
Ahh...gotcha Skye, This is now sounding like a bug: if you can indeed manually enter a Queue Topic with a blank Duration (so that it instead defers to the current default field at the Project level; which is helpful, should you then decide to modify that value over time) but can neither kickstart a blank Duration nor clear it manually after the fact, I'd suggest you raise a ticket. I'd also suggest trying an API call to clear it; sometimes the API (for better or worse) is not subject to the front end business rules that kick in when working through the user interface. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
yep I raised a ticket over the weekend. The ASE confirms that I can't make the duration on a queue topic blank after it's been filled in (I asked him if he was sure that wasn't a bug because it's just so... weird). And they're working with me to try and make it blank in a kickstart (the first suggestion hasn't worked so we're still working on it). Thank you for helping! -skye

Level 10
You bet, Skye, But there's definitely some voodoo going on: I just tried several attempts via the API to set the default duration, but no joy; it's a LAZY_READ (which is always a bit suspect), and is behaving as if it is write-only...but since you can edit it through the front end, that dinna make sense. Curious. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore