Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Proof sharing V2 onward

Level 10

Hi I have a situation I'm hoping someone has a solution or advice.

• We have a proof approver who is in a different company and so has limited access to our instance (and rightly so, I don't want her poking around our stuff)
  • She has to approve proofs but only ONCE and early in the process. So she gets V1 as an approver.
  • Sometimes, it takes her a few days, and in the meantime we are on V2 as the editing process doesn't wait for her.
  • We don't share V2 onward with her because the multiple notifications are annoying and confusing, and by accident the due date may shift on the notification (hard to keep track of those) which is confusing and bad manners
  • Because V2 isn't shared with her, when she clicks on V1 it's locked and she's not given the option to go to V2
  • I would like a way that she gets automatically routed to V2 without having to share/send the notification to her. This can be specific to a certain type of Project/Portfolio/Template - those are very consistent as to which proofs this has to happen for.

Access rules and how all the levels play together are my achilles heel -- 90% of my questions revolve around this topic, and the documentation on proof approvals is sparse, especially around how various types of rules impact it.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

9 Replies

Employee

Hey Jill,

I took this to some smart people and here's what they said:

The user will need to be shared on the second version in order to be routed to it. If they are manually removing her, it would make sense that she doesn’t have access to V2. I don’t believe that there is a way to accomplish what she is wanting as they do not have anything in place to prevent V1 from closing/becoming locked before the end user is able to approve it.

So, maybe someone else out there has some good ideas?

Kyna

Community Advisor

The only other thing I saw was the nuclear option: In the Proof account settings, I noticed this line: ""Recipients can view all versions" allows recipients to view all versions of a proof within the Proof Viewer when the Proof URL is enabled."

If it works the way it implies, I guess the question would go back to Jill as to whether it's ok for everyone who is assigned a proof to always be able to see any proof versions.

Level 10

Oh yes! That will work. I hope. I can't think of any situation where someone should be cutoff from seeing another version of the same proof. thank you!

Community Advisor

Jill, I'm definitely interested to hear if this option work the way it implies it will! I wasn't brave enough to test it in my system :) so I have to live vicariously through yours.

Level 10

Skye turns out this is a big FAIL. I tested that "recipients can view all versions" button a few different ways and here is what I found

• Reviewer license internal person - saw all versions no matter how the button was set
  • Reviewer license external person - blocked on V2 no matter how the button was set

Community Advisor

interesting!! I wonder what that button is for, then! If you don't mind me asking, what is Susie's access level? (What is it that makes her an external person? Is there a way to make her an internal person but just not shared to anything, and how would that work? Like for example, making her a reviewer license in her own Company in your workfront, would that keep her out of everything?)

Level 10

Susie is reviewer with very limited access and works at a different company. All my sharing is based on 2 things - company and "licensed user group" to separate people. If I try to get more complicated than that my fragile deck of cards falls apart. Access and control is my achilles heel. However, my test with Susie (2nd bullet) was on a fresh test project with no sharing at all -- unless there was access somewhere else that I didn't consider ie portfolio?

Level 10

I think I found a way but it's a bit convoluted. After V1 if the proof isn't yet approved by "Susie" of the external company, they are instructed to add her to V2 but don't send a notification or a message or a deadline. I think -- haven't yet had too many opportunities yet to test it -- it will take her to V2 automatically as V1 will be locked, and she can approve V2. It requires a lot of oversight of this one person's approval but we're going to try it out.

Employee

Well that's a good workaround I guess! I hope it doesn't turn into too much work for you.