Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Proof Comments and Comments in the Docs Updates tab

Level 2

Hello, hoping someone has a suggestion or solution. Our team is struggling with following proof comments that are made in the updates tab, but pertain to proof comments. There is a disconnect when someone physically goes into a proof, but cannot see the comments/replies made in the updates tab. The only reason we use the updates tab (in the docs tab) is because we lock the stages once approvers submit their final status, but often times, other people are still asking questions and the person that is locked out may still need to answer new questions. So they reply back to the proof comments but in the updates tab. It is very confusing trying to piece the comments together to make sense of what needs to happen to the file in review because you have to go back and forth between the proof and the updates tab. We practice locking the proofs because in the past we've had people changing their minds after setting a status so we had to put the lock proof rule in place to keep everyone honest. Turning that off is not an option.

Is there a way to pull the comments in the updates tab into the proof? Or is there a way to lock and approval status but keep the comments open? Thanks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Employee

Hi. Thanks for bringing these to my attention! I combined 5 out of the 6 ideas from above as you can see here: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSV2AAO/detail. I chose to leave this one (https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSNsAAO/detail) out. Even though it is related, "creating a toggle" is technically different than "connecting the feeds." They will still remain as related themes within the Innovation Lab.

Level 10

Hi Lauren - Totally understand the frustration, but that shouldn't be an issue going forward. As part of the 20.3 release, you cannot reply to a Proof Comment in the Update stream. The only button you see is Reply in Proof.

0690z000009DBveAAG.png

Level 2

Hi Anthony, thanks for this info - we actually just noticed this new feature yesterday! This function helps to a degree, but still doesn't allow the locked out person to reply to peoples questions in the proof, so they go to the updates tab, @mention people and conversation continues in both places. BUT! I am looking at your other comment below and think your idea is a great work around - to create a reply only stage. Even if WF doesn't create a new stage, but just creates the ability to reply back to comments or questions without being able to add new comments would be FABULOUS. Our last proofing tool was inmotion, ignite, and we were able to lock proof decisions, but keep replies to comments open. That was really great feature. I upvoted your idea you proposed below.

Community Advisor

I forgot about that Anthony! That seems like it will open a whole other can of worms if the person trying to reply is on a locked proof stage and they can't reply at all.

Level 10

Do you have to have all the stages locked? Like for us, we keep the Account stage open so they comment and reply to anyone in the stage. And even now, I'm having some PMs keep the proofreading stage unlocked so the proofreaders can reply to other replies on their comments.

Just thinking, if it is becoming such an issue that they are putting comments somewhere outside the proof, do you really need to lock the proof down that much? Just a thought.

Level 2

I keep 3 stages open for our creative director, designers and fact checker. I do lock marketing managers tiers since this is where the issue of changing comments and statuses started. So some people can continuously respond to questions, but then others cannot. Thanks again for all of your input/ideas!

Community Advisor

We lock the stage our business partners are on so they can't come into the proof and add additional edits later in the process.

But sometimes someone from our team will have a question on one of their edits, these folks are able to reply to the original comment. But then the business partner can't respond to that question.

Level 10

So for both of us, we really need a new stage status that is No New Comments so people can reply but not make new comments. I put an idea in: https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000XiVjAAK/detail

Community Advisor

I like that! Thanks for submitting!