Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Project on hold - restart with current dates

Level 2

We have several projects that were put on hold and are now coming back to life. What is best practice to restart these projects and get the dates on the remaining tasks current?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10

Ah the “restart after pandemic” projects ‚Äî I’ve had a million.the answer really depends on how the project was set up to begin with. Here’s my example‚Äîset up kick off meetings for each project coming back to life and make a first task for kick off meeting with that date, and make sure it’s the predecessor of the next key task that wasn’t previously completed so the project recalculates. Adjust durations to meet key deadlines/milestones.

we actually normally use finish dates for most projects and the final task is “must end on” so I change the end date of the project, change the last task in the project and it recalculates. If some tasks had already been completed in the before times, then I make the next task due “must start on” based on when it will actually start, which then may require updating durations to get you to the right final due date. It’s more complicated this way but it ensures that we never go past the due date on critical projects that are not allowed to be late.

good luck and congratulations on making it through this awful year. (I’m making big assumptions here).

Hi Jill,

Your advice on this one is both insightful and encouraging; thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Doug

Level 2

Thanks, Jill! This is somewhat along the lines of what I've been doing. I've been adding a task in there with duration days calculated to basically "force" the project to the current date. It sounds like I've doing the right thing. I appreciate the reply - and yes, last year was a challenge for sure! 😉