Expand my Community achievements bar.

Predecessor Same Start & Same Finish

Level 1

Hi, 

I am trying to set up a task to have the same start and same finish as a predecessor.  So both start and end date will be linked. 

i am trying 79ssff, but that does not work.  i tried to seperate the two to be 79ss and 79ff but WF won't allow that. 

Any help?

3 Replies

Level 9

Are the durations of both tasks the same?  That's the only way that will work. You can't have start date and end date match but duration be different. 

Level 1

Hi.

I would like the duration to be the same.  I am hoping that would be automatic by setting the predecessor.  dates and duration auto-populate.

From what I am gathering from your response, the duration and dates won't automatically update based on a predecessor.  I need to manually change dates and duration, then add the predecessor.  is that right?

Level 9

My recommendation is not to manually set the dates.  Set the duration of the tasks and the predecessors and based off that the dates should align.  I'm always cautious to tell people that setting the hard fixed dates makes it difficult to adjust if your whole timeline shifts.  Then you have ot manually change them all instead of one and the system pushes out based off predecessors. 

The only thing to remember is that if someone is assigned to the task and their schedule is different or they have PTO in the system then teh dates will shift out to the next available time as it should.