Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Possible to Assign a Layout Template to a Specific Task?

Level 2

Layout templates are fantastic to customize exactly what I want users to see for a task, but I do not want that template to be applied to every task in the system that the user views. It is possible to create a layout template and assign it only to tasks associated with a specific project? By assigning a layout template to a user or group, then every task they view across Workfront has that template applied, which is not what I'm wanting. Or maybe what I'm wanting is possible with something other than layout templates. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Tgore08,

You can use Layout Templates to assign a set of views to users and for each object (e.g. Tasks) choose a default view from among those, but (to confirm) that default then kicks in globally, across all Projects.

Practically, you can train end users to switch views to find an appropriate one (e.g. depending on the Project), and views are "sticky" so they will then stay in place until a new one is selected, which can help.

In some cases, you might also (instead) consider creating a special Task report (or more) and drop it in to a special custom tab at the Project level for easy access to those Layout Template users...but that's only marginally less clicks than changing views.

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @Tgore08,

You can use Layout Templates to assign a set of views to users and for each object (e.g. Tasks) choose a default view from among those, but (to confirm) that default then kicks in globally, across all Projects.

Practically, you can train end users to switch views to find an appropriate one (e.g. depending on the Project), and views are "sticky" so they will then stay in place until a new one is selected, which can help.

In some cases, you might also (instead) consider creating a special Task report (or more) and drop it in to a special custom tab at the Project level for easy access to those Layout Template users...but that's only marginally less clicks than changing views.

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

Hi @Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore ,

Thank you for the reply! The end goal of this need is for task approvals. The approvers get lost when clicking on a task because there are many options on the left panel that they do not need to see. I was hoping there would be a way to only display the Task Details and Approval tab so that the approvers only see exactly what they need to make a decision.

Do you mind expanding on your suggestion of creating a special task report? I am not sure I am fully following what you are saying regarding dropping the report in to a special custom tab at the Project level.

My pleasure @Tgore08,

@jon_chen wrote up this primer about custom tabs, which includes some additional links that might help you create something to simplify that your approvers need; particularly if (via their Layout Template) you drag such a custom tab to the top, thereby making it the default landing page (thereby saving some clicks).

Regards,

Doug