Expand my Community achievements bar.

Online System for Home-Grown Documentation?

Level 10

I may have asked this before, but I can't find it via search, so my apologies i I am asking again.

We're looking to switch to very well designed InDesign (PDF) documentation to an easier-to-use Wiki-based system (or some other similar idea; open to suggestions). Looking for suggestions.

Some of the things I'd like to see are:

1. We are an inhouse design agency and appreciate aesthetics from both the "pretty and easy to read" aspect as well as the "information hierarchy" standpoint. So would want the ability to have nice style sheets to standardize headers, sub-heads, sub-sub heads, bullet lists, numbered lists, etc. Needs to be useful, and should "show off" for folks outside our department.
  2. Once the styles are made, they should be easy to re-use by a novice user. Looking to encourage/enforce consistency.
  3. There should be tagging (index'ing) capability.
  4. There should be an ability to have a table of contents or other pre-define organizational structure one can browse through.
  5. Ability to add screens shots easily by a novice, but perhaps controls/styles to help them along.
  6. Should able to easily create "see here" links (i.e., "for more details, see Some Other Article's Name"). Cross-referencing is a huge boon in a documentation system.
  7. Needless to say, the above means "wikia" are out of the question, the syntax is too much to ask a novice user to learn. Someone more advanced might be expected to set-up the style sheets, but the novice should be able to apply them very easily (and ideally via GUI).
  8. If this is a paid/cloud service, needs to be secure. I may have to vet this with IT, but even if I don't I need the ability to hide it from the public and secure via name/password.

How unobtanium are we talking? 😁

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies