Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Nested conditions in Custom Calculated field

Level 3
Hi all, I am trying to create a custom calulated field that needs to meet 2 conditions before returing a result. It is referencing a date field and I want a True result only if the date is less than Today and Not Blank. So far I've been unsuccessful. I originially had it as below, but apparently the system includes blank as less than TODAY. IF(Launched Recurring Benefit Date<$$TODAY,Recurring Benefit,0) I also tried the opposite (below) with the same unsuccessful results IF(Launched Recurring Benefit Date>$$TODAY,0,Recurring Benefit) I'm fairly certain I'll need some sort of nested statement, but I can't seem to get it right. I greatly appreciate any help!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 3
False Alarm! I had a lightbulb moment when I was almost out the door! This finally ended up working IF(Launched Recurring Benefit Date>$$TODAY,0, IF(ISBLANK(Launched Recurring Benefit Date),0,Recurring Benefit)) Whew...now I can sleep tonight...

Level 10
< > Good job! Many times when I stop thinking about something, the answer automagically appears. Eric

Level 5
When I'm building large nested if statements, I like to use a text editor like Sublime that can do parenthesis matching. You can copy white space into a formula successfully (and it makes it a lot easier to read) For true nesting, I like to build recursively. So start with your simpliest condition and put in placeholders like IF(IsBlank(ABCD),"True","False") Then copy in the whole statement and replace the appropriate True/False: IF(IsBlank(ABCD),"True",IF(IsBlank(ABCDE),"True","False") ) I've even been known to create a temp form to carefully test different parts of an expression and then collapse them together. I've built nested statements several pages long to encode complex business rules into a single value for conditional formatting of views, but it takes patience and LOTS of care. I also keep a seperate documentation page with a table of my calculated fields, the calculations and an explanation of what is going on. Finally I like to copy the calculation into the description of the field so that I can easily copy in the expression on a new form (or if the calculation gets damaged) Here's a simple example: IF(IsBlank(Agreed Budget Estimate),"Planning", IF(Actual Revenue>Agreed Budget Estimate,IF(Actual Revenue-Agreed Budget Estimate<2,"On Budget","Over Budget"), IF(IsBlank(Actual Completion Date), IF(Actual Revenue>(Agreed Budget Estimate*.95),"Near Budget", IF(Planned Revenue>Agreed Budget Estimate,"Planned Over Budget", IF(Planned Revenue=Agreed Budget Estimate,"On Budget", "Under Budget"))), IF(Actual Revenue=Agreed Budget Estimate,"On Budget","Under Budget"))))