Expand my Community achievements bar.

NEED AN INTELLIGENT ERROR MESSAGE WHENEVER THERE IS A PROBLEM WHILE UPDATING THE CUSTOM FORMS

Level 6
we are always getting "There is A Slight Problem" dialog box without any error mesage inside it whenever we are updating the Custom Forms. I have encountered this error most of the times when I was using the "recalculate" tickbox on a calculated field and my assumption is that what we are seeing here might indeed either be an access conflict (e.g. someone else doing stuff in the task / project and saving) or that the operation simply times out, especially when the recalculation affects a large data set. I encounter this error not as often in my early morning hours, when EMEA and NASA are not active. So - and this is important - I can almost reproduce this a 100% when recalculating calculated fields when EMEA is awake and working and the frequency is much lower in my 6am - 9am hours when APAC is almost out and EMEA has not woken up yet. So it appears like an access conflict or a timeout on the recalculation over large data sets are the most likely causes. But in order to sort that out, we need the error message to be more detailed. If it is a resource conflict, I would say that the recalculation should simply wait for the resource lock to lift and then update the task. If it is indeed a timeout then I would say that the recalculations should just run in batch and be non-blocking for the UI so that the updates happen in the background. "We need better logs and Intelligent error messages to really nail it down" S S Ayyappa Reddy Sathi Google Inc.
3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Ayyappa, I work with large volumes of custom data (1500+ behind a single object) with huge calculations and over the years like to think I've made every mistake and hit every error possible. Hope springs eternal. One gotcha that could cause an error similar to the message you are seeing is that when adding a new field, be sure to click save (in order to commit its relationship to the form in the database) before attempting to then use it in a calculation. Another situation I see from time to time is at the database level, where bad data is preventing a recalc on a certain record, but doesn't crop up until the form us edited and (thereby) a recalc across all records occurs. I such cases, though, the error message usually refers to "SQL" as well. I have also run into cases where the form will save the first time through the editor, but the next time it is edited and saved, it fails: usually due to the editor's interpretation of unwisely chosen custom data field names (eg "Program") or those with special characters (eg "Price - Cost" vs {DE:Price - Cost}" or even better "Price minus Cost") on my part. My impression (in fact, I've confirmed this using the API, now that I think about it) is that during the second trip to the custom editor would "reinterpret" such items in a way that then invalidated the formulas and in turn prevented the form from being saved. So! A few years ago, we created our Update Category solution, which allows you t o quickly manipulate and realign Custom Forms to better match the business, including adding, removing, and reordering Parameters and Parameter Groups, as well as adjusting Calculated Parameter formulas: "http://store.atappstore.com/product/populate-category/">http://store.atappstore.com/product/populate-category/ . When it runs, there is also an option to Report EVERY parameter formula error, if any (WARNING: might be VERY slow). Perhaps that feature will give you the insight you seek.

Level 10
I'll second that – on all error messages Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 10
There are definitely a lot of opportunities throughout the application for more meaningful error messages. Make sure that you get something post to the Idea Exchange, if something does not already exist. :) Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU