Expand my Community achievements bar.

Milestones - only attach to one task

Level 2
Hello Everyone, I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem. I've created a milestone path with 8 items and would like to attach them to the task in my project. When I get into the project and try to add a path item to a task it just moves between them. I saw the documentation that a task can only have one milestone, however I did not read that a milestone could only attach to one task. In the example below I added that milestone to each of the task below and it only shows up on one. Am I missing something??? Debra Ravareau Centene - Communication Channel Services
5 Replies

Level 10
Hi Debra, It is true that a milestone can only attach to one task. If you try to attach it to another, it accept that and remove it from the previous one. Obviously you can create another milestone to represent the subsequent tasks you want to mark.

Level 2
Thank you Vic. I think I understand; I was working on a report on the status of a group of tasks, so I'm hoping that the milestone would accomplish this by being attached to multiple tasks. If I understand by attaching it to the parent task would take into consideration the sub tasks underneath. Debra Ravareau Centene - Communication Channel Services

Level 10
Hi Debra, Well kinda. If you're keying on that milestone and attaching it to the parent, the data in that milestone view will display what's in the parent (which inherently considers the sub tasks (i.e. duration, planned hours etc.)). But if you're looking to display those sub tasks, that won't happen. You'd have to do that another way.

Level 4
Debra, I have 2 options for you: Option 1: Follow Vic's great advice and attach the Milestone to the parent task and then create a task report that has at least the following filters
Parent Task Milestone ID equals "Milestone Name" Number of Children = 0
Option 2: Create a custom drop down field that has the main grouping that you want to report on. Add that field to your task view in your projects. Select the appropriate option for the different tasks. Report on all tasks where the custom drop down = "XYZ". I have found that some organizations don't have a desire to explain how milestones work or they use them at a higher level and so they like the custom field option better because it is easier to train people on how to use it. I have included a screen shot of what I mean (Custom field is called Key Reporting Tags). Hardest part is keeping the number of tags to a reasonable number but one benefit is that we are not relying on naming conventions.

Level 2
Thank you both for your help!! I was kinda stuck and with both suggestions it will get me what I need. This reporting tags idea is great because my users want to see it next to every task which was not happening with the milestones out of the box. Debra Ravareau Centene - Communication Channel Services