Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Matrix Report Rules

Level 6

Is there a way to have a "rule" in a matrix report that compares the total value to a custom field? Ie, I have the sum of hours per project and I want the background to be red if greater than a project custom field call Budgeted Hours. I was hoping I could just go into text mode to edit, but alas not in a matrix report.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Mollie,

Yes, unlike regularly grouped reports, matrix grouped reports never have allowed such textmode augmentation. I have a vague memory of kickstarting such a report out to Excel, fiddling with it (effectively in text mode), then kickstarting it back into Workfront as a hack (and wish you luck if you Go There), but instead, suggest you consider adding a second custom calculated parameter (e.g. Matrix Color) with a formula that compares the hours per project against your existing Budget Hours custom parameter, and depending on the difference, then resolves to a text field (e.g. Red if > 110%, Yellow if <=110% and >90%, Green otherwise). With "the math" done in advance in this manner in a single parameter, you can then use the Matrix Report user interface to define conditional coloring using the resulting Matrix Color values (e.g. if Red, show red background, etc)

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Mollie,

Yes, unlike regularly grouped reports, matrix grouped reports never have allowed such textmode augmentation. I have a vague memory of kickstarting such a report out to Excel, fiddling with it (effectively in text mode), then kickstarting it back into Workfront as a hack (and wish you luck if you Go There), but instead, suggest you consider adding a second custom calculated parameter (e.g. Matrix Color) with a formula that compares the hours per project against your existing Budget Hours custom parameter, and depending on the difference, then resolves to a text field (e.g. Red if > 110%, Yellow if <=110% and >90%, Green otherwise). With "the math" done in advance in this manner in a single parameter, you can then use the Matrix Report user interface to define conditional coloring using the resulting Matrix Color values (e.g. if Red, show red background, etc)

Regards,

Doug