Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Looking for the best way to calculate the cost of a project. (material + labor)

Level 6

I want to start calculating the costs of each project. I saw where we can manually add an expense but I am hoping someone has a more automated way of accomplishing this.

First I want to tally the cost of materials. On our custom form we have check boxes to choose the individual print pieces they are requesting. When those are selected a Quantity field appears. I am hoping there is a way to program a cost in for each of these print piece types and have it automatically multiply by the Quantity they entered giving us a total for that piece type. But, I would also like a field that adds all of the totals together to get the Total Materials Cost. I would have these fields only visible to the admins/planners. This would also need to transfer over from the Request Form to the Project once converted AND also be editable within the project in case the quantities change after the initial project was created. I thought about a calculated field but from my experience those are not easily editable after the project was created. I am hoping there is an easy way to accomplish this that I am just not aware of since we haven't done anything like this before.

Second I want to tally the cost of labor. First I need to get some very reluctant users to start tracking their time on every project. I believe I can add in a cost/bill rate on every job role. I am thinking there is an easy way to calculate the TIME ENTERED BY JOB ROLE x COST PER HOUR. Also assuming there is a way to add each of the job roles together to get the Total labor costs.

In a perfect world there would be a way to add both of these costs together to get the Total Project Expenses. Then I am hoping to create an Executive report that can tally the total expenses for projects within a Program.

Does all this sound possible using the native features within Workfront? I know I wont be able to get my company to purchase any add-ons. Before I dive in and spend a large part of my life trying to accomplish this I thought I would ask this group to see if it is even possible.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Level 10

Although I can’t help you, perhaps I can spare you, Tracy,

“With native features”, I believe the answer to is no, which is why we created our Estimate/Invoice solution (for those following who are able to consider add-ons), which can do all this, plus generate unique numbering along the way to track original and revised versions.

Regards,

Doug