Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Limit view to only issues assigned to

Level 2
We use WF with outside vendors. I need to set them up as workers and limit their ability to view items to ones they are assigned to and keep everything else private. How can I set their user to facilitate this? Thanks Detrie
6 Replies

Level 4
Hi Detrie, Assuming that you want to have internal and external workers in the same project, you will need to remove the outside vendor's access through the sharing dialog. The main idea here is setup the project as normal then remove the vendor's access to all areas except their task(s). Select all the other tasks and manually remove their sharing access on the task tab of the project. Do the same with issues and documents. Note: The tricky part will be when you add new tasks, documents and issues after initial setup. Unless you change the project level access settings your outside vendor will get access to the new tasks and issues by default. Unfortunately, if you change the project defaults this will apply to both internal and external users so that your internal users will not see new tasks by default unless you manually grant them access (if you change the project access defaults). Also, I don't think you will be able to hide comments that are entered at the project level (unless you make use of the keep private feature and have companies setup properly). A more secure (and perhaps simpler) approach is to setup a separate projects. One project will be for internal workers and the second for your outside vendors and use cross-project predecessors where needed to manage dependencies between the two projects. There might be another solution, but I can't say without knowing more. Daniel Cooley Kenall

Level 1

What if an outside vendor is someone who catches requests from the request queue? Are there other companies that do that? Currently, when the vendor logs in to view the Requests page, they can see "All Requests" which is a dump bucket of all requests from the entire queue ever. Is there a way to shrink their visibility so that it is not an option for them to review "All Requests"? See screen shot for those of you who are visual. Thanks for any help! Nikki Sitzmann Rimini Street Inc.0690z000007ZiHIAA0.png

Community Advisor

0690z000007ZiGyAAK.pngWe have a very limited access level and layout template set up for our requestors as we don't want them seeing other requests entered into the system or files we have not directly shared with them. It seems to work very nicely and touches on all the points brought up above. I attached screenshots. Hope this helps! Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.

Level 10
We also have projects where we only want users to see their assignments. We have separate templates, with different default project rights to handle this - which controls the project inherited rights. (But you can change this for any project.) Edit Project > Access. The key for us is that when someone is provided access to a task or issue, they are not provide project view access - so the box below those options are "not checked." Marie Kelly The MetroHealth System

Level 10
hey @Nikki Sitzmann -- I think you will probably find that outside vendors can't see "all" your requests even if they click on the "All Requests" tab. I've logged in as another user, and while I can see 450 requests in my "All Requests" tab, the other user can only see 295 requests. I would probably say that if you restrict all your request queue views to your company (hopefully you have added all your internal users to your company in Workfront) and leave your outside vendors out of your company, they will not be able to see that much. Try it and see, though. -skye

Community Advisor
I love that idea and will be presenting it to my Users as another option. Monique Evans Stanley Black & Decker, Inc.