Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!
SOLVED

Kick Start for Parent Task, missing setParentID name

Level 10

Hi,

I tried to create below scenario with parent task name in excel file. Importing that excel file gives error.

The set name used for parent task name is "#setParentID PARE name". While import shows error. Believe I am

missing some text in the title. Looking for a help in this regard;

Best regards,parent task name.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

2 things.

1. The formatting for the heading would be #setParentID TASK name

2. I'm not sure if this will work or not, because the search could return multiple tasks, if they're all the same name. I am curious though, please let me know if it works.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

2 things.

1. The formatting for the heading would be #setParentID TASK name

2. I'm not sure if this will work or not, because the search could return multiple tasks, if they're all the same name. I am curious though, please let me know if it works.

Level 10

Hi @ChrisStephens 

I tried, it works, if I create a task (parent) with same title as mentioned before. Can we create a parent task similar like creating child task by kick start import via excel?

I appreciate yours time to share about above. Thanking you. 

Community Advisor

Hmm that I'm not sure of, it's going to depend on the order that the kickstart is processed. I suppose that if the kickstart processes the row entirely before moving to the next, then I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as you had the parent get created before the child. What I mean by that is, if Workfront searches for the parent task when it's creating each task, then I would think it would. If it instead searches for all of the parents prior to creating anything, then it would fail.

I built my own tool to build out projects, and this was one of the primary use cases for it, as well as not having to provide it a GUID (but Workfront has added that to their kickstart now), as well as a couple of others. Typically I use that, so I'm not 100% on how kickstarting works and the logic behind it, sorry.