Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is there a way to delimit text from the project name field?

Level 9

We have a calendar that displays specific tasks on projects. However, because of the phrasing we have of our project names it can be hard to read.

Is there a way to delimit text by character? For example 999999-PSG-Project Name

The numbers and the letters may vary in length. I'm not sure how to separate the 'Project Name' from the rest of it.

Or create a calculated field that only pays attention to what's after the second hyphen?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Christina,

If the Project Name is always going to be after the second hyphen you can use the expression below. Not sure if it would work in calendar but a calculated field either at the project level or task level (you will have to update the expression for this) would definitely work:

SUBSTR(SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name})),SEARCH("-",SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name})),0)+1,LEN(SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name}))))

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 11.44.13 AM.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 2

Hi Christina,

If the Project Name is always going to be after the second hyphen you can use the expression below. Not sure if it would work in calendar but a calculated field either at the project level or task level (you will have to update the expression for this) would definitely work:

SUBSTR(SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name})),SEARCH("-",SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name})),0)+1,LEN(SUBSTR({name},SEARCH("-",{name},0)+1,LEN({name}))))

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 11.44.13 AM.png

Community Advisor

Wow, nifty! What is LEN?

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Community Advisor

In this case it returns the length of the string as an integer

Level 2

I was wondering if we could lengthen the field for Project Name because we have to hover over it whilst looking at a project in order to see the full name of the project as it only shows the first 18 characters or so. 

Can someone help?

Community Advisor

Hi, are you on a small screensize or have your window minimized? I believe a project name in WF can be up to 56 characters until it add the ellipses at the end. I just did a test and can confirm. Or are you referencing seeing names of projects in a report? If that's the case you can expand that column's width in the report.

Level 2

Even if I'm viewing on my large monitor - i still can't see the whole project name (see screen shot). If there is a way to make the Project Name font smaller or -- have that field be wider and make the other fields (Percent Complete/Project Owner/Planned Completion/etc) less wide?

Community Advisor

Interesting. You cannot customize the real estate given to the items in the project header, unfortunately. Last thing I want to check if your zoom, are you seeing it this way even at 100% or 90% zoom? I'm seeing longer project names:

Madalyn_Destafney_0-1695742623195.png

Not seeing anything in documentation on project name specifically. If your zoom is fine, and you're in an up-to-date supported browser (basically anything but IE), and still seeing it like your screenshot I'd ask WF support about it.