Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there a limit to how many columns can be in a report?

Level 3

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how many columns can be in a report? I think it is 10, even with combined columns.

5 Replies

Community Advisor

I'm curious about how you arrived at your answer.

Personally, I do think there ought to be a limit -- but a week or two ago, another customer said they had a report with 500 fields on it ... so now I feel like maybe there's "no" limit -- because I would have stopped long before I put 500 fields on a report.

Level 3

500 fields in a report? That is wild.

It could possibly be that someone at my work said they didn't want a report with more than 10 columns in it, but I had never tried to get more than 10 in any report. So I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knew if there was a cap. Sounds like that is not the case. (And am I weird for wanting to actually see a report that does have 500 fields in it?)

Thanks!

Community Advisor

you are totally not weird. I've been really curious myself (obviously still bringing it up one or two weeks later). I don't really know how Workfront works, so my curiosity is stuff like "what cluster are they on? Are they slowing things down for everyone on the cluster when they pull up that report?"

I did google to see if excel has a cap because as you know you can download a workfront report to excel. Excel's limit is around 16000 I think -- version 2010 -- so definitely don't try to put more columns than that. ;-)

Level 3

I think if I tried to add more than 10 columns in a report, then some of our users would surround my desk with pitchforks. But it is nice to know that I could add more than 10 if I wanted or really needed.

And if you're looking to join in on my discussion on page load times, please check this string out. https://one.workfront.com/s/question/0D54X00006pozEUSAY/page-load-times

Community Advisor

Then ... I think you're right. YOUR limit for reports is definitely 10. Nobody wants to see you surrounded by users carrying pitchforks.