Expand my Community achievements bar.

How To Find Out What Cluster Your Domain Is On

Level 10
As illustrated on http:\\trust.workfront.com, each Workfront domain is hosted on one of several clusters within Workfront's worldwide data centers. Sometimes -- such as when there is an upcoming planned outage for database maintenance -- it is useful to know which cluster your domain is on (e.g. so you can determine whether the outage will affect you). The easiest and most reliable way I know of to find out what cluster your domain is on is using a "ping" command from a windows prompt. As attached, if you open the Start menu (on a Windows machine), type cmd, and press enter to open a command window, then type "ping cl01" [Enter], then "ping [youdomain].my.workfront.com" [Enter], and compare the IP addresses that come back, if they match, you'll know with certainty whether your domain is on that cluster. I've attached a screen shot to illustrate. Regards, Doug
9 Replies

Level 6
Hi all They do have a European based cluster which might benefit our Aussie friends. We considered moving from the US based one to the European one but realised that actually it works well for us as we run at fairly good speeds until our friends in the US come online - generally about 3pm UK time :) All planned outages have been out of our normal hours so far.

Level 7
Are you sure about this Doug? When I ping both CL01 and CL02 I get the same ip addresses.

Level 10
Hmm...then no, Greg: I guess I am not certain, in that case. Curious. Regards, Doug

Level 3
I also get the same response when pinging CL01, CL02 and CL03. Odd.

Level 10

Ah: I've just remembered. Workfront uses a technology called Akamai (AH-kah-my) to manage network traffic to its data servers. Because Akamai is "in front", the ping instructions are returning the IP address of the Akamai server for all clusters.

So! The solution (hat tip, again, to Dave Jones) is to PREFIX the ping with "origin-", which bypasses Akamai, like this:

ping

origin-cl01.attask-ondemand.com

I've attached a (better) screen shot, to illustrate. Thanks for catching my error, and sticking with me while I figured it out!

Regards,

Doug0690z000007ZiaPAAS.png

Level 3
Thanks, Doug! It worked this time ... cluster 01 it is. (I used to be CL02). Appreciate the help.

Level 7
So Cl01 ends in 11 and CL02 ends in 12. When I ping my domain with origin prefix, everything matches except the last 2 digits are 22, not 12. Does that still mean I'm on Cl02?

Level 10
Hi Greg; just noticed your question. As I understand networking (which is by no means expert), each IP address is unique to a single computer. So, since your origin ping ended in 22, I'd guess you are not on CL01 or CL02...ah: but (to double check), when I just opened a command prompt and tried: ping origin-cl02.attask-ondemand.com the replying IP did end in 22, implying that yes, your Workfront domain is on cluster 2. Regards, Doug

Level 10
can folks please upvote title= >https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSqEAAW/detail (Update Setup Area to Include Cluster Details)? thank you! -skye