Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Grouping by highest level "parent"

Level 2

I am trying to run a task report to show task due in certain time frames (this week/overdue, next two weeks, etc.) I need those tasks to always GROUP by the highest-level parent (parent, grandparent, great grand parent.) However not all tasks have the same levels of sub-tasks. So some do not have grand-parents, and my current grouping is showing "Parent:Parent: No Value". I just want it to skip it if i there is no grand-parent and go to the parent.

Here is the grouping so far, any suggestions? Basically I need "If no grand parent, show parent" in the grouping instead of "no value"

textmode=true

group.0.displayname=Parent

group.0.namekeyargkey.0=Parent

group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name

group.0.valuefield=parent:parent:name

group.0.valueformat=string

group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn

group.0.linkedname=parent

group.1.valuefield=parent:name

group.1.displayname=Parent

group.1.linkedname=parent

group.1.namekey=view.relatedcolumn

group.1.valueformat=string

group.1.namekeyargkey.0=Parent

group.1.namekeyargkey.1=name

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Erin -

Try this:

group.0.name=Highest Parent

group.0.valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({parent}.{parent}.{parent}.{name}),IF(ISBLANK({parent}.{parent}.{name}),{parent}.{name},{parent}.{parent}.{name}),{parent}.{parent}.{parent}.{name})

group.0.valueformat=HTML

textmode=true

If there are tasks with more than great-grandparent tasks, you will need to add another if isblank statement onto this.

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 2

I would love to hear back on this one too! There are so many things that I would like to see grouped by the highest parent group.

Correct answer by
Employee

Hi Erin -

Try this:

group.0.name=Highest Parent

group.0.valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({parent}.{parent}.{parent}.{name}),IF(ISBLANK({parent}.{parent}.{name}),{parent}.{name},{parent}.{parent}.{name}),{parent}.{parent}.{parent}.{name})

group.0.valueformat=HTML

textmode=true

If there are tasks with more than great-grandparent tasks, you will need to add another if isblank statement onto this.

Hope that helps!

Level 10

Hi @SarahNau 

Thanks for sharing this long ago, I tried this one for task overview in a project as a grouping, but it shows as below, 

Work_Orders_.jpg

All parent tasks get collected here under "No Value", any suggestion to avoid this. Rest of parent task is great with sub task.

Appreciate your help in this regard.

Best regards,

Kundan.

Level 10

This is very good @Sarah Nau‚ and @Erin McMurray‚

But if we want to group by parent task only one level up not grand parent in the report. Then could you suggest what will be the group expression code for that?

Thanks and regards,

Kundan.

Employee

Hey Kundan,

You should be able to group by parent task name without going into text mode. Under groupings, find parent and within that section find name. You may want to filter out parent tasks (number of children = 0) since these would show in a 'no value' grouping on your report.

Hope that helps!