Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Frequent turnover and new user training

Level 2
Hi there! I've defaulted to the Workfront admin/trainer for new hires within our MarComm team and I'm interested in learning from others in similar roles. I'm especially eager for resources or training docs you've found helpful as you educate new hires in your organization's instance. The trap I find myself falling into is throwing too much information at the new user at once. I overwhelm them and that's been turning some of them off to the tool pretty quickly. Thank you! Carolyn Steigleman
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Hi Carolyn, I highly encourage you do the following: Develop a simple training outline of what you want to cover during a training session Start a web conference with the trainee and record the session (GoToMeeting $35/mo or SnagIt $50) Upload the recording to a project in your instance called "Training" to the documents Create a Documents report called "Training" and filter on the project above Share both the report and project with your entire instance (view access) for watch and learn on-demand Update versions as you repeat your training and get better quality recordings Break up training into small segments (< 1 minute) to keep things organized and simple to update as things change in Workfront <--guaranteed Setup a small project for the trainee with a few fundamental tasks along with the task of watching the videos. This reinforces the use of Workfront and ensures everyone understands how to use the tool. I can't think of a more effective method of training than this for the frequent flyers who like to claim it's all too difficult to learn when it's not. This forces you and them to use Workfront every step of the way, the only way to train in my opinion. No one gets off the hook. The training projects and data show who completed what and when. You can even template this training project and train dozens, hundreds, thousands of users at once. Dashboards will produce pretty charts showing progress of the trainees as they proceed through the projects, if you want to go to that level and create some real-time competition up on a big screen. Throw some fun tasks in there like grab a snack from a bucket or go for a 10 minute break so it's not booooooorrrrrrring. You can thank @Steve Cappellucci at Workfront (shoutout!) for most of these concepts as he's the genius behind them. Also, I'm looking into kicking off some WFPro-sponsored Workfront Fundamentals training soon so stay tuned in the community for announcements on this. Thanks, Narayan

Level 10
Oh, and one more piece of advice that I can't emphasize enough... unless you manage the user, don't train the new user. Functional teams and leaders should be able to cross-train or refer to recorded materials without ever bothering you as the admin for new users. The primary contact for the team should request your assistance in refining training materials or coaching the entire team/group, which is something you should always entertain if you have the time for it. There are too many good things that result from these coaching sessions to list. :-)

Level 2
This is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to write! Carolyn Steigleman