Expand my Community achievements bar.

Finding Users with no assignments or work

Level 2
Hello community, Please consider this use case. We need to find users that have no work assigned to them or existing "working on" items. What I have tried so far. Assignment level report does not work since I can not see users with NO assignment User level report where I retrieve all "work items" via collections also does not work since work that gets assigned but not officially accepted "Work on it" does not show up ---have looked into having assignments "auto accepted" or force accepted, but that is not possible resulting in option 2 not working for us. Any workarounds, solutions, or ideas would greatly be appreciated. TIA, Dave CC'ed @Rich Blickley @Richard Blickley @Janet Bakes David Ngo JLL
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Level 10
Perhaps two reports on a dashboard: 1) Issue report where assignment users ID = the user and the issue is active (various filters needed here, such as status equates with NOT EQUAL closed, project status equates with NOT EQUAL dead, complete) 2) Task report with the same concept. If you put some prompts on these reports, you can repeatedly use them to validate that users don't have assignments on active items.

Level 2
@Narayan Raum Thanks Narayan. Assuming that I understand your proposal correctly, I do not think your proposal will get me a list of users with no assignments. It will show assignments/tasks w/ no users but it won't pinpoint which user has no assignments. I'm hoping for this to be used for user license management where we can quickly identify active USERS that do NOT have any assignments of active task/issues. Group A has user 1/2/3/4/5. 1/2/3 were assigned a task YXZ. 4/5 were not. Various reports that may work, but unable to achieve. Report version 1 Filter=Group A and user is NOT assigned a task User 4 User 5 Report Version 2 Filter= Group A User 1 - YXZ User 2 - YXZ User 3 - YXZ User 4 - null/blank User 5 - null/blank David Ngo JLL

Level 10
I don't think that's possible within Workfront. We've often relied on external reporting to do cleanup. For example, show me all of the routing rules that are not used. Workfront can't answer that question.

Level 10
Hi Dave, Until five minutes ago, I would have agreed with my friend Narayan that this one isn't possible within Workfront. However (pardon my SQL reference), not being able to do outer joins has always bugged me, so I dug through some old references and rediscovered this gem, which I invite you to add as a filter on a user report: EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=ASSGN EXISTS:a:assignedToID=FIELD:ID What it's doing is (in my mind) an outer join: the "a" is an alias to whatever object ("OBJCODE") you are interested in confirming has no data ("NOTEXISTS") for the main object you are interested in (the USER report), by joining on the target object's foreign key field ("assignedToID") to the main object's primary key ("FIELD:ID"). Now that I've at last locked in how this works, I can think of loads of ways to use this to more efficiently look for data that's missing (e.g. missing timesheets, missing status reports, missing documents...coolness). Narayan, do make a note of this one in your textmode reference library: it's a keeper! Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 4
Yep, Doug is on the right track. I've been working a lot with EXISTS for the last few months and it really unlocks a lot of power. I wanted to do a talk on it at Leap, but alas it wasn't accepted. Jason Webre is doing a talk on the other half of the collection power block the nested syntax. EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=ASSGN EXISTS:a:assignedToID=FIELD:ID EXISTS:a:status=AA AD EXISTS:a:status_Mod=in isActive=true isActive_Mod=eq So this looks for active users with no active assignments assigned to them. I usually create two reports when building these type of exists reports. A report on the object type that I'll use in the EXISTS to get things like Status, Teams, whatever figured out and simple filters for the object report I want. You can add the EXISTS block to the standard text mode for the report, so build out your user list to the group you want to check and then add the EXISTS. -- Melinda Layten, Senior Consultant Work Management Improvement CapabilitySource Phone: (484) 505-6855 site: www.capabilitysource.com email: melinda.layten@capabilitysource.com Helpful? Buy me a coffee: https://www.patreon.com/mlayten - we simplify your work so you can run your business -

Level 10
Doug, this is a gem! I look forward to giving it a try for a variety of applications. Thank you!

Level 2
Community rocks! Thank you all! Was wondering if there is a document of sorts for Advance-Advance Textmode? Can't seem to locate EXISTS etc anywhere officially. Secondly, the textmode code definitely worked, but NOT fully after checking my results with my manual checks. 2 users that should appear but didn't. 1 that did, but shouldn't. triple checked filters and users settings. Any suggestive checks? TIA again, Dave David Ngo JLL