Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Exporting/Syncing Tasks to an Exchange Calendar

Level 10
In another thread (see link below) I raised that one of our biggest needs is a way to get tasks from Workfront showing as Outlook/Exchange calendar items. The existing Workfront Outlook add-in does not do the job because: Tasks appear in a separate Workfront calendar....not as part of the users' Exchange calendar. This means that from their PC and mobile devices they can't see a single calendar of all their work. Even those tasks that do come across to the separate calendar have almost no information (just a task name....no project name, and no task details) meaning the users have to login to Workfront via the web UI to work out what the task is about. Of the tasks which do come across, if they are multi-day tasks they only show as one day which causes confusion for users. Of course, feature requests have been submitted for the above though it is not going anywhere at the moment due to the main Workfront focus being Office 365, which we don't use. We are getting a lot of kick-back from users about the above and I am looking for other options and would like to know if the talented people from the community have any suggestions. Some things that I am considering are: Get an API-based too built to create iCal files from tasks, and have these auto-emailed to users so they can save them into their calendar. Issue with this are that it is very manual and there would be issues regarding what happens if tasks are moved or cancelled. Export task data to CSV and get users to routinely import it into Outlook. Not nice because it is manual and likely will have the same issues as point 1 regarding tasks which change or are cancelled. Have users manually drag the calendar items across from the Workfront calendar to the Exchange calendar. Horribly manual and not something I want to ask users to do. Also has issues related to point 1. I already have a calendar report for the users via the Web UI, so for the moment this is all I can refer them to for an accurate calendar of their work. None of the above options are really very good. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know. In addition, if you agree and also need a proper solution from Workfront, please submit feature requests to add weight to this issue. Thanks, David. https://communitybeta.workfront.com/p/fo/st/thread=241&post=986&posted=1#p986
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies