Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!
SOLVED

Error Updated Calculated Field

Level 2

Hi all,

Whilst updating a calculated field had an error I get the following error "field name is used in a multi-form configuration, if you would like to change this formula you will need to remove this field and replace it with a new one containing the desired calculation"

The field is used in a lot of other custom forms which are then used in project templates, does the error message mean that there is a template/s which have more than one custom form which each uses this calculated field? If so, is there an easy way of determining with the templates are?

I can't simply create a new field as the existing one is used a great deal across our Workfront instance. 

Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You're not going to love the answer to this, but this has been my experience with updating a calculated field that is used in multiple custom forms - and when I had worked with WF Support on this, they had confirmed (as of less than a year ago). 

When you have a regular custom form field and you edit that field, the edit will show in that field anywhere it's used, which WF warns you about within the custom form area (i.e. changing a field called Note to Notes will make it show as Notes anywhere it's used). However, for calculations in calculated fields, this unfortunately doesn't change dynamically across everywhere it's used. You will need to
- Set aside time you can do this in 1 sitting so you're not without this field for long on forms.
- Remove the calculated field from all but 1 form

- Revise your calculation in the calculated field in the one form, copy the updated calculation, save.

- Add the calculated field back to the other forms (one at a time and save), pasting the updated calculation directly from copying it above to prevent any discrepancy. 

This is a pain if you have several forms with the calculated field and what I had to do and WF had confirmed (so therefore I tried to update this field as little as possible), but if someone else has another way, chime in!

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

You're not going to love the answer to this, but this has been my experience with updating a calculated field that is used in multiple custom forms - and when I had worked with WF Support on this, they had confirmed (as of less than a year ago). 

When you have a regular custom form field and you edit that field, the edit will show in that field anywhere it's used, which WF warns you about within the custom form area (i.e. changing a field called Note to Notes will make it show as Notes anywhere it's used). However, for calculations in calculated fields, this unfortunately doesn't change dynamically across everywhere it's used. You will need to
- Set aside time you can do this in 1 sitting so you're not without this field for long on forms.
- Remove the calculated field from all but 1 form

- Revise your calculation in the calculated field in the one form, copy the updated calculation, save.

- Add the calculated field back to the other forms (one at a time and save), pasting the updated calculation directly from copying it above to prevent any discrepancy. 

This is a pain if you have several forms with the calculated field and what I had to do and WF had confirmed (so therefore I tried to update this field as little as possible), but if someone else has another way, chime in!

If you found this helpful, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

Level 2

Thank you so much for your answer, whilst not great news, at least I know how to solve the issue. Wish me luck as I may be gone some time working my way through the custom forms. 

Community Advisor

Been there! I used this solution from Doug Den Hoed  Tunnel Of Death: How To Find A Form With Two Specific Custom Forms On It to fix this issue in my instance. More than once 

Hahah — thanks @Sheri_Whitten,

I bet I’ve searched for that Tunnel Of Death phrase a dozen times since it was coined, too!

One of these days I’m going to create a 1:1 calc parm (eg with the form name as the calc) for every form in an instance; wouldn’t that be luxurious!

Regards,

Doug

Level 2

Thanks Sheri, that's gonna come in handy, such an apt name too.