Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Does anyone know why the handoff date is not = null when a cross-project predecessor is incomplete? This is a little bit of an issue bcs the handoff shows up in the past (if all non cross-project predecessor was completed) but task cannot start.

Level 2

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Yannick,

That's very curious. Although I haven't tested it, I would expect a Task’s Handoff Date to be null until all of is predecessors (both within the Project itself, and Cross-Project) are complete, and once the latest completed among those are complete, for that date to then be set as the Handoff Date, and the Task then be Ready To Start.

If I'm following, though, you are NOT seeing that behavior, so (although I suppose it could be a bug, or even As Designed) the only explanation I can think of is that perhaps the Cross Project relationship was added after the Handoff Date was already set prior to that point in time; and if so, that perhaps a Recalc Timelines on the Project in question would help.

I'm following, and interested to hear what you figure out.

Regards,

Doug

Level 2

Hi Doug, good point about the recalculation, I thought it would solve the problem but it doesn't - I forced the recalculation and even waited 24h.

See attached - I changed my view to pull the handoff date and made a screenshot.

As you can see the X project predecessor is not completed but the other predecessor (task 2) is - will be trying to play with the predecessors and task completion to see if I can find an explanation. In any case this is not the solution bcs we have many X project predecessors and I wanted to start to roll out the handoff date in my division to better track the actual start of tasks versus the handoff and see how we can improve this.

fyi: 3/25 is when task 2 was completed and WF seems to completely ignore the X project predecessor...0690z000008Yix6AAC.png

Level 2

Wondering if there was any resolution for this issue? We are seeing the same problem - cross-project predecessors are being ignored. and only the "in-project" predecessors seem to drive the handoff date. The problem is users get notified/email to start their tasks when the handoff happens, so we are seeing jobs get out of order (approvals try to start before all content is ready). This seem to be a Workfront error. Tasks are showing on dashboards as ready to start, but they aren't because a cross-project predecessor is still pending completion.

Level 2

Hi Brooke, we've escalated this to Worfkront when I posted the question but I have not heard anything from them and I have not followed up with them since bcs we don't have that many predecessors in our projects but it is still messing up our dashboards when there is one. Are you going to send a ticket to them as well?

Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply, and we will be, yes. It seems WF is just ignoring the cross-project predecessors entirely in the logic when it comes to determining the handoff date/Can start status of a task. We began using these quite frequently on a lot of jobs over the past few months and now that the projects are reaching these tasks we're seeing the problems. It's a big mess and seems like a huge logic miss on WF's part.

Level 10

Hi Brooke and Yannick,

Just reviewed this again with a colleague at Workfront who confirmed that there are no such help tickets open, so (yep, looks like a bug) I suggest you raise a ticket so they can escalate as a potential defect.

Regards,

Doug