Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Custom Statuses for Project Lifecycle

Level 1
Hello - We are currently implementing Workfront and trying to determine the best way to track what "phase" of the lifecycle each project is in (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Closing, Complete). Does it make sense to build each one out as "Statuses" that equate back to "Current"? For example - create Initiating, Planning, Executing, and Closing that all equate to "Current". Michael Zook Benefis Health System
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

3 Replies

Level 10
Have you considered using milestones as an alternative instead of custom statuses? Otherwise I feel like since it is a manual step to change from one status to another, there's a risk that incorrect data will be stored (i.e. someone will forget to change the status) or people will get tired of having to change the status all the time (definitely depends on how many projects each user is running) .... and it will definitely be a training issue (one additional thing you have to train people to do). -skye

Level 1
Hi Skye - Thank you for the quick response and input. After further discussion with our team, we are going to pursue exactly what was recommended with utilizing milestones instead of building out several different statuses. Thanks again for the input. Michael Zook Benefis Health System

Level 10
thanks Michael and good luck on your implementation. For further reference (in case the custom status topic comes up again in your team), I think one more key thing to keep in mind is that it's a bit difficult to store any information about when a custom status might have been used. From a project life cycle perspective there's definitely value in being able to report on your phases (how long they took, planned vs actual dates, whether something was late) -- and these are exactly the things that are hard to measure using a custom status. We customers all do like our custom statuses -- just need to keep in mind their weaknesses so you know when best to use them. -skye