Expand my Community achievements bar.

Custom Field - Drop Down of Active Projects

Level 1
Hello, Is there a way to create a custom field on a custom form that will list all active projects? Preferably a type ahead, or a drop down. Curtis Gifford Kronos
4 Replies

Community Advisor
Not yet, Curtis. The Project object type, among others, is on the near-term roadmap for the Typeahead field, from what I've heard. This would include the ability to add a filter so only Active projects populate in the value list. William English T-Mobile
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 7
Hi Curtis, This is coming down the pipeline as William said.. You can check out the new objects in Preview, and they are anticipated to be released with the 2019.4 release with an ETA of November. You can also filter on objects, so you can add in a filter via text mode of like.... project:status=CUR project:status_Mod=eq That would allow you (from a task object) to filter to only show projects that equate to Current. (Text mode only, but you can specify the status key . Keep an eye out on https://workfront.com/release for more details to come. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront

Community Advisor
I just checked the additional object types in Preview, and I'm *really* excited to see this after having wished for it for years! Dustin, and @Josh Hardman I will ask, because I know my team will ask me, is there any plan to add the ISSUE object type? And, although it should be assumed that this is the way it would work - I will point out to other readers that in initial testing, this field does appear to limit the value list to those to which the user has View access. So, the value list of one field will be variable from user to user. That will be the desired behavior for most use cases; but there are use cases in which the desired behavior may be to display a list of projects including those to which a user may not have access. For us, it would look like this: In a new Issue form, a Typeahead field exists where the user is asked, "Is this request associated with a currently open strategy project?" If yes, we would want the user to identify the relevant strategy project - BUT, most users wouldn't necessarily have View access to these strategy projects. So, the typeahead field would effectively be blank. This is a tough one to balance - we don't want to provide really broad or universal view access to certain projects, but at the same time there wouldn't be any objection to users seeing a list of those projects so they could associate their request with a specific one. With that in mind, do you anticipate the ability to "Run this Typeahead with the Access Rights of" similar to how Reports can be designed to display records that the viewer wouldn't otherwise be able to see? William English T-Mobile
If you like my content, please take a moment to view and vote on my Idea Requests: https://tinyurl.com/4rbpr7hf

Level 7
Hey William, I'll leave those questions for Josh, as I don't have accurate enough information for you at this point in time. However, in my personal opinion, not affiliated with Workfront in any way/shape/form, I do think we'll see us add in the Issue object type in the future, and since the filters are based off the existing reporting architecture, I can see the ability to run with the access rights of... being added as well. Again, just my opinion.. so take that with a grain of salt and expect nothing from it. Thanks! Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront