Expand my Community achievements bar.

Creating Timeline for a project

Level 3

Hello -

Our project managers create a timeline for their projects in Excel to give to the team. It's what they have done for a long time and is easy and quick to them. We have project templates that they use for each project, but those are almost too detailed for what they need for this timeline. I'm curious if anyone has ever put in a project for timeline purposes and also had the active project in as well? Seems redundant in some sense, but we'd like for them to keep the timeline in Workfront. 

I would create a view for them so it's easy for them to export it and make the changes when needed. I attached two screenshots. One is the timeline from Excel and one is from what I created in Workfront. The dates don't match since the timeline was created a while ago. To me it seems like it should work just fine, but not sure if we are overthinking it and thinking it will be harder in Workfront than Excel. Holidays are already built in because of the schedules we have attached to each user along with skipping weekends.

A few things I can see being a pain are:
- We'd have a project in as a timeline and one in as the active project. 

- They'd have to switch views when looking at the timeline and then looking at the project.

- They might need to adjust predecessors a bit more to hit the dates they need to hit.

Are we overthinking this? Crazy to want a timeline AND a project? Any tips?

Thanks!!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

0 Replies