Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Confusion on Task Predecessors in Template

Level 1

Please help, I'm going nuts!!! I'm trying to set up a template that:

• Automatically adjusts due dates of predecessor tasks when I change the due date of the final task
  • Sets the due date of the first task to one day before the start date of next task

After doing some reading, I created a template with the Schedule Mode set to Completion Mode, set the constraint of the last task to Must Finish On, and added task durations and predecessors. The preceding tasks' constraints were automatically set to Start No Later Than.

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 5.24.48 PM.png

Then I created a project from this template. The due date of the final task and planned completion date of the project autoset to today's date. I changed the planned completion date to a later date, and then changed the due date of the final task, but none of the preceding tasks dates changed. In addition, the due date of the first task (Task 2) is the same day as the start day of the second task (Task 3). I tried adding a predecessor of "3ss-1d" to Task 2 but I got a dependency loop error. What am I doing wrong? 

Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 5.30.44 PM.png

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi @kcarberry 

If I understand correctly, may be mistakenly adding predecessor number having the same task number. This does not help as per your schedule mode in project.

Always predecessor can made dependable to other task number.

May be below article could be helpful for you;

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-constraints/task-cons...

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/workfront/using/manage-work/tasks/task-constraints/task-cons...

Please refer attachment, tried to create the scenario.

Task predecessor_Comm.jpg

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 1

Thanks Kundan, I appreciate the response!  Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve the preceding due dates not automatically adjusting when the schedule mode is Completion By? And how would I make the first task finish the day before the start date of the second?

Level 2

When we go backwards from a Must Finish On date we use the Must Finish No Later Than task constraint but leave the Schedule Mode at Start Date instead of Completion.  It's a backwards approach that can be tedious, tricky and frustrating to figure out, but it works.  When the Must Finish On date is set, it calculates all tasks before it based on predecessors/successors and duration.  Then your start date is accurately the date you created the project but your tasks are based on that "delivery" date.  I highly recommend utilizing a real example, with dates, so you have a guideline to make sure your hitting the right dates before you convert the project to a template.

leighhasty_0-1672073544839.png