Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Boards: Stack Filters

Level 5

Hi all,

Can someone clarify for me what the "Stack Filter" option does in boards please? I originally assumed it would stack them as "OR" logic, but it appears to work as an "AND". Is that correct? The only help I can see says this...

(Optional) Click the Stack filters button to activate stacked filters. This option allows you to apply more than one saved filter. The filter rules are applied in the order you select them.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MattWindsor,

Correct. AND: that's that (for now).

Regards,

Doug

cc @RandyRoberts who might know more on OR

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MattWindsor,

Correct. AND: that's that (for now).

Regards,

Doug

cc @RandyRoberts who might know more on OR

Yep, it's just AND for now. I raised a ticket and the answer was "we have no plans to change it currently". I would suggest complaining loudly as stacking is pretty useless as it is now. In fact, I had posted this as an idea in March 2022 and to my surprise, they did it! But alas, even I don't use it in it's current state.

I suggested inserting a "AND/OR" radio button next to, or between each filter selection giving the user a choice.

For now, if you want any "OR"s, you have to make another filter, just like you had to before. This negates the stacking feature and renders it pretty useless.

Level 4

+1 The stacking feature is useless and unintuitive for the way our users use the tool. Where we have the option our users have been advised to use the legacy filters exclusively. Where legacy filters are not an option (e.g. Boards and Workload Balancer) we have had to create filters which call out the field they apply to [XXX] and advise users not to stack filters of the same field.

E.g.

Filter: In Progress [Status] + Owner [Name] is OK

Filter: In Progress [Status] + On Hold [Status] is NOT OK

Community Advisor

I was so excited when they released this feature, but then I found that it was AND logic when I opened a support case. I sure wish it was OR logic - the stacking feature doesn't do much for my instance 

"stacking filters will allow you to choose multiple layers of filters to control what you see without needing to make a large number of more specific filters. The stacked filters are applied one selection at a time, so selecting multiple filters means that the results will become more narrow, rather than adding to the results of the previous filters. The only way for a sacked filter to have an OR selection is if the rules inside one of the filters had an OR set there."

Level 5

I share your pain, but I've settled for using the OR's within a single saved filter. It does the job in the fact that you can then filter on the workstreams on the left of the screen, but as it can't filter the intake column that still makes it difficult to use. Especially as it's on a card view as the list view is still regarded as a "Feature Gap". They've still got a long way to go with this feature. 

Level 4

Yeah, this is one of the reasons we have not released "boards" in our org. It is in high demand but there are just too many gaps like this that make it not quite useable.