Expand my Community achievements bar.

Applying Colour Coded Filters to Bar Charts

Level 1
Hi everyone Does anyone know if it is at all possible to set up colour coding on a bar chart within a report? I have set up a new report which shows the total hours logged by each member of a project team on a particular project. (Please see screenshot attatched.) I'd like to clearly see on the chart which members of the team are permenant employees and which members are contractors. I am able to distinguish whether someone is a contractor or not by viewing the field: 'Owner - Hourly Rate' as this figure differs depending on whether the employee is permenant or a contractor. What I'd like to do is change the bars on the chart so that all contract employees have yellow bars and all of the permenant employees have blue bars. I hope this makes sense... Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice on this. : )
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Steven, Ah, this is an oldie but a goodie, and gives me an opportunity to share a (rather advanced) technique I developed several years ago, but have yet to make the time to blog about. Perhaps this will suffice. Let's start with some theory, The colors on bar charts are presented in a particular standard order (eg blue, red, yellow) with each series being automatically assigned in order. So, although you cannot "pick" the color as such, you can "coerce" the color by using an OR to that ensures you always have at least one row returned for each series you need, and then sort the data in known manner. In your case I would: - add a zzSample Employee user with a dropdown Employee Type of "01 - Employee" (eg blue series) - add a zzSample Not Used user with a dropdown Employee Type of "02 Not Used" (eg red series) - add a zzSample Contractor user with a dropdown Employee Type of "03 - Contractor" (eg yellow series) - add one hour entry (however small) for each of them, on some known date (eg Jan 1, 2000) - in addition to your existing filter (which I presume is hours for certain users within some timeframe), add an OR to pick up these "legend" hours - change the report grouping to stack the bar by Employee type In this fashion, the "zzSample" users will always be present, always be sort the same, and in turn always force the same colors on the chart, including "burning" a color you do not want (such as red, which we're taught to associate to a problem). Regards, Doug

Level 10
Hi again Steven. Now that I'm back on my computer, I'm uploading this example to show how I coerced chart colors to be red, yellow, or green (across years) when comparing severity of incidents. Regards, Doug

Level 1
Hi Doug Thanks for your advice and for sending through the screenshots.I'm still fairly new to Workfront at the moment so appologies if this sounds like a silly quesiton. I haven't been able to find a field for 'Employee Type'. Is this a custom field or one that already exists in the system? Thanks & Kind regards, Steve

Level 10
My pleasure, Steve. And yes, to clarify, I was suggesting "Employee Type" as an example of a custom parameter (likely a dropdown) to designate each user as an Employee or Contractor. Regards, Doug