Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Amending Reoccurring Tasks

Level 6

Hi all,

We regularly need to amend a single task that is part of a reoccurring task. e.g., change the date or duration for just that occurrence, leaving the remaining tasks as they were.

But we find this isn't a painless process. making the change often give us unpredictable results that we have to fudge to tidy up again. Based on the fact that our project timings are set up using Start Date, is there a simple way to make these changes.

I've tried different constraints, but can't see one that really helps.

Thanks

Matt

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MattWindsor,

One rule of thumb I often use is that if something should (or will) affect the timeline it is usually best to model it as a Task, whereas something that just needs to happen (think "to do" list) it is usually best to model it as an Issue.

With that in mind, since the repeated rescheduling of the reoccurring tasks you're describing sound like they are tripping up your timeline, I suggest you consider shifting your thinking and instead periodically create an issue (perhaps "under" the task, if that helps affiliate it in your mind) that is intended to be dealt with (at the appropriate time) and then copied (persisting any custom data of interest, etc.) with the next planned completion date set, and so forth.

In this fashion, the issue that needs to happen periodically will still have visibility and (almost) all the same powers as it would were it a task, but without upsetting your timeline.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MattWindsor,

One rule of thumb I often use is that if something should (or will) affect the timeline it is usually best to model it as a Task, whereas something that just needs to happen (think "to do" list) it is usually best to model it as an Issue.

With that in mind, since the repeated rescheduling of the reoccurring tasks you're describing sound like they are tripping up your timeline, I suggest you consider shifting your thinking and instead periodically create an issue (perhaps "under" the task, if that helps affiliate it in your mind) that is intended to be dealt with (at the appropriate time) and then copied (persisting any custom data of interest, etc.) with the next planned completion date set, and so forth.

In this fashion, the issue that needs to happen periodically will still have visibility and (almost) all the same powers as it would were it a task, but without upsetting your timeline.

Regards,

Doug

Thanks Doug,

That is a sensible work-around, but ideally it would be great to get the recurring tasks working properly to keep it simple for my users. I've done some more testing and have started to understand more about it's behaviour, so I'll carry on with that for now and hopefully crack it.

Thanks for your help

Matt