Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!
SOLVED

Add character limit in text field

Level 3

How can we add a character limit in our text fields? Is this even possible?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. Having limitation and validation possibilities on custom fields would be something really, really helpful.

Perhaps you can create another idea for this, to give a hint to Adobe.

Regards

Lars

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

unfortunately that is not possible. Having limitation and validation possibilities on custom fields would be something really, really helpful.

Perhaps you can create another idea for this, to give a hint to Adobe.

Regards

Lars

Level 3

@stan255 

I needed something similar recently but had to just fall back on the LEN({value}) expression in another field which gave the user an idea of how many characters they were using.

Not really a fix but guided the requester.

Andy

Level 3

Hey @AndyKent, this is a good workaround. Is it possible to add an IF statement into the LEN function?

For example, if LEN > 10, add text "Too long". If LEN < 4, add text "Too short".

Level 3

Sure, you could try:

IF(LEN({name}) <40, "Good!", "Too Many!")

'<40' being the character limit although you may want to play around with this as 41 may be the number you need to return the desired result.

Level 3

Thanks for helping out, @AndyKent.

I gave this a shot and it's giving me N/A. Here's the full formula:

IF(LEN({NAME}) <10, "Over 10", "Less 10")

FYI,
LEN({NAME}) - This works