Expand my Community achievements bar.

Auto update of Custom form fields

Level 2

Hi,

Does anyone know how can I auto-populate fields across custom forms - Lets say I have two projects name A and B. My teams manually complete the same field in different custom forms across the project A and B. This is  tedious and duplicative. Is there's a way where a custom form field is filled out once and propagated across the different custom form in the project A and B?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. TIA

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi @Himanshu4,

There is no native way to copy custom data between objects that are peers (e.g. Projects, in your case), so instead you might consider:

• storing the data at a higher level common to each project (e.g. Program, Portfolio, Company), assuming it is the same for ALL projects to then refer to (e.g. via calculated custom data to pull it down, or a report/custom tab that "looks up" for that information); or
  • storing the data at a lower level (e.g. on a special Task or Issue) that you can then Copy, then Move to the peer Project

I suspect the latter might be a better fit, and although it would take a bit of experimentation and training, could save quite a bit of time overall.

Regards,

Doug

Level 9

Are the projects both in the same portfolio and program? Is there data points that connect the projects together?

If so you can probably do it if there's some sort of trigger or watch on project a when the data is filled in for project A then go search for the other projects and fill in the data points. 

We have captured cross project metadata at the program level and then pushed down to the projects. Fill it out once on the program level and it pushes to all the projects below.