Hi @ParthaSarathy! I found the problem with the criteria for segment 2.
The problem was with the rule of Customer ID for Segment 2. If I use
"NULL" instead of "Not equal to 0" seems to work.Thank you so much for
taking the time to help me find the problem!
Hi @ParthaSarathy, thank you for taking the time to help me! I noticed
that I should change the crmID with CustomerID. In Campaign database
crmID is empty, while each profile has a CustomerID, so I changed all
the criteria in the workflow to reflect CustomerID. The problem could
still be from matching the IDs? I mean in the csv file the ID is like
12345, 12346 and so on, while in the database the IDs are of different
formats: some like "cust1" while others a longer combination of numbers
Hello @ParthaSarathy ! Thank you for your reply. I tried your
suggestion, you are right with the way I should filter for Segm 2, but
it's still not working. The 2 contacts that are not in the database go
to Complement, instead of Segment 2.
Hi everyone,I need some help with a workflow I want to use to
import/update profiles in the database from a csv file. The issue is
that when I start the workflow, the 2 recipients from the csv file
(which are not in the database before upload) are added in the
Complement, instead of Segment 2 where they should be Updated as
Profiles in the database. I suppose the issue comes from the criteria
used in the Segmentation activity, but I don't know how to change that.
Criteria for Segment 1: profile’...