Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to Add Variables Through Tool or through Page Based Rule when Page Code is Already Present

Level 2

We have page code already present on our site. We have check the box "page code is already present" and have matched our s object. We are trying to capture more variables within the page calls. It doesn't seem to matter if we put the added variables in Global Variables or in a Rule it doesn't capture any more variables then what is already present on the page. We can however create event based rules and fire those just fine.

Is it not possible to add variables (prop, eVars, events) to the page when we have page code already present?

9 Replies

Level 3

I'm noticing this same behavior as well and am interested in responses. Is this functioning as designed?  There is not a lot of documentation for when page code is already present. 

Level 10

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

Please make sure you are following the steps mentioned below correctly:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/global_variables.html

Also check the troubleshooting article:

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/dtm/c_Troubleshooting.html

Thanks!

Level 2

Here is the following setup for the tool:

• General
    • All settings set to match what is in our onsite s_code
  • Library Management
    • Page Code Is Already Present Checked
    • Tracker Variable = s (matches onsite tracker variable
  • Global Variables
    • prop50 = "DTM"
  • Pageviews & Content
    • All blank (nothing changed)
  • Link Tracking
    • Enable ClickMap is checked
    • Track download links is checked
    • Track outbound links is checked
      • Added our urls to the Never Track list
  • Referrers & Camaigns
  • Cookies
    • Visitor Namespace matches our onsite s_code
    • Everything else is blank (nothing changed)
  • Customize Page Code

When this tool is loaded and fired on the page prop50 is not populated to "DTM". What are we doing wrong?

Level 2

zdmckee wrote...

Here is the following setup for the tool:

• General
    • All settings set to match what is in our onsite s_code
  • Library Management
    • Page Code Is Already Present Checked
    • Tracker Variable = s (matches onsite tracker variable
  • Global Variables
    • prop50 = "DTM"
  • Pageviews & Content
  • Link Tracking
    • Enable ClickMap is checked
    • Track download links is checked
    • Track outbound links is checked
      • Added our urls to the Never Track list
  • Referrers & Camaigns
  • Cookies
    • Visitor Namespace matches our onsite s_code
    • Everything else is blank (nothing changed)
  • Customize Page Code

When this tool is loaded and fired on the page prop50 is not populated to "DTM". What are we doing wrong?

Any response on this?

Level 8

Hi,

Are you using more than one analytics tool for your web property?

If that's the case please ensure you have a unique tracker variable name as duplicative object variable names between tools can cause a conflict.

If not, let me know, I'll look into it and get back to you.

Regards

Rahul

Level 3

Thanks Rahul.  I am only using one analytics tool in my web property.  But like the original poster, I am also setting the tracker variable name to "s" which is the same object as the inline analytics code.  My thought was that I was supplementing the existing tracking, but it looks as if I can only add event based rules in this situation and cannot supplement or change the page load image requests sent by the inline analytics code.

Thank you!

Christy

Level 2

I am using 2 tools:

• The first tool which I have checked "page code is already present" and I have matched the tracker variable
    • This tool we are using to hopefully add to our implementation on the pages that already have onsite tracking
  • The second tool I do not have "page code is already present" checked and I have made sure to use a different tracker variable name "s2"
    • This tool we are using to add tracking to any pages that do not have the on site tracking already added to them

Level 8

Hi,

The reason for this is that whenever you select the 'Page code already present' option, the page load rules end up working inconsistently as the preference is set for page code variables.

Regards

Rahul

Level 2

Rahsing wrote...

Hi,

The reason for this is that whenever you select the 'Page code already present' option, the page load rules end up working inconsistently as the preference is set for page code variables.

Regards

Rahul

So if we have "page code already present" checked we can't add to our page code variables? Event if (in this example) prop50 isn't defined on any page?