Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Stop all DTM execution on a specific page

Level 1

Hello!

We're working on troubleshooting some regional loading issues (China) and so far it appears satelliteLib* JS files that load early are blocking due to very long download times (> 1 minute in some cases).  In order to troubleshoot, I would like to prevent ALL DTM activity on specific pages.  The plan is to only do this in staging, so it won't affect production and I do not want to go through an entire CM process to make adjustments to the site's actual codebase.

Is there a way, within DTM, that I can cause it to no load anything at all on specific pages?

I'm aware of the s.abort, and returning false at the tool level, but both of those solutions still load DTM and the aborts happen on the browser.  I am looking for a way to prevent the library as a whole from actually responding at all at the page level that doesn't involve the browser.

As an aside, is this functionality available in Launch by chance?

Thank you!

-mike

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You might be able to accomplish this by disabling all your tools. Although, I still think your core DTM library with all the logic and rules would load.

I'd suggest using a proxy like Charles or a browser tool to simply comment out your DTM embed codes. This would prevent the library load call from ever taking place.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

You might be able to accomplish this by disabling all your tools. Although, I still think your core DTM library with all the logic and rules would load.

I'd suggest using a proxy like Charles or a browser tool to simply comment out your DTM embed codes. This would prevent the library load call from ever taking place.

Level 1

We had similar issues with early loading tags causing blocking.

To help with troubleshooting, I added a query string (i.e. ?tagexclude=alc|bing| or tagexclude=all) exclusion condition where path = \btagexclude\b.*(all|alc\|) to all our vendor tags.  I can select 'all' and exclude all tags from loading or list the ones I want to exclude. You can even do this against production in a web page speed test like webpagetest.org.

Of course, the DTM library _satellite rules would still load. 

Level 1

That's a great idea, I'll definitely start doing that.  Unfortunately, it doesn't prevent the DTM or tools themselves from loading though, just prevents some or all of the rules from firing, so it won't help my particular issue.

My company's legal team just let me know that under GDPR Adobe Analytics falls into the category of a system that profiles user behavior and tracks them with a cookie.  Apparently it doesn't matter if its anonymous because under GDPR (and the Chinese cybersecurity law, which is more strict than GDPR) if the data is in any way tied to a unique identifier, it should be handled as PII.  Anyway, we'll need to collect explicit opt-ins before we can actually trigger the analytics call, so I'm not sure I'll ever find an answer to this issue since that sort of thing will need to be done in the site codebase anyway.

Level 1

Using some sort of proxy tool would work in theory, but my testers in China aren't that technical... its the China field marketing unit, so it's all they can do use screenshot the browser console.

I think I'm out of luck on this one.  Should take this as a feature request:

Add a global loading condition that prevents all tools and rules from firing if met.  Even better, a global one, a tools specific one, and a condition that applies to all rules (or each rule type separately).

Level 10

Since Launch was released, DTM has become a legacy product for Adobe. Meaning, only major bug fixes will be released in DTM. New features are highly unlikely to be added to DTM as development efforts for new features are primarily reserved for Launch.