Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Some basic questions on DTM

Level 2

Hi Everyone, 

I've been using Sitecatalyst but am new to Dynamic Tag Manager (DTM). I have some basic questions just wonder if anybody can help me?

1. Can DTM replace Adobe Analytics? In other words, there are some Adobe Analytics codes incorrectly implemented on the website before and now we are switching to DTM. Do we need to fix the existing Adobe Analytics codes, or can we just ignore them and DTM will do the job without Adobe Analytics?

2. My understanding from the DTM user document is that DTM doesn't deliver data collected to anywhere unless you set up specifically. If that is the case, do I still see any reports if access from Adobe Analytics report interface?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi,

To answer your question, yes you would need to set up rules for that but they wouldn't let you capture the page name unless you've defined a variable for capturing this.

Try to understand DTM as an enabler that allows you to more efficiently manage the tags you have on your page but it would do so in conjunction with a certain tool (say Adobe Analytics in this case).

Your analytics implementation would allow you to set up variables that can capture the desired data (page name in your case). DTM would set the conditions when this data is to be captured so that the entire process of data collection can be made more efficient and the data collected, more relevant.

Here's some documentation on DTM for your reference.

Kind Regards

Rahul

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Employee Advisor

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, DTM can replace Adobe Analytics, just keep in mind that it cannot invalidate an existing implementation, so you'll at least want to remove tracking from your sites before implementing it.

2. Yes, you still access reports from Adobe Analytics. DTM is merely a tool to implement Adobe Analytics, which does not affect the location of reporting.

Level 2

May I ask more questions on DTM? 

Say, for example, there is a website without any Adobe Analytics coded added. We then set up DTM container with both header and footer codes inserted into each page. At this point, how does DTM pick up page names? Do I need to set up any rules for that? 

Correct answer by
Level 8

Hi,

To answer your question, yes you would need to set up rules for that but they wouldn't let you capture the page name unless you've defined a variable for capturing this.

Try to understand DTM as an enabler that allows you to more efficiently manage the tags you have on your page but it would do so in conjunction with a certain tool (say Adobe Analytics in this case).

Your analytics implementation would allow you to set up variables that can capture the desired data (page name in your case). DTM would set the conditions when this data is to be captured so that the entire process of data collection can be made more efficient and the data collected, more relevant.

Here's some documentation on DTM for your reference.

Kind Regards

Rahul