Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM - Using Multiple Analytics tool instances installed in a single web property

Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to use one web property with 2 adobe analytics tools. Can someone please give me some guidance on best (practices) ways to manage this? My goal is to manage two different domains that belong to the same "client" --  I wanted to use one web property with multiple domains/subdomains.

Under page load rules, 

• Conditions: regex domain (localhost) and path rules (test2.html)
  • Adobe Analytics -- Choose Tools >I have only one of the tools checked

When I test on my localhost page, I see both tools firing off in Charles. My expectation was to see only one of the analytics tools to fire. Since, I only checked off one.....mmmm.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

All Analytics tools will fire on every page regardless, at least for a basic page view call, even if you haven't configured any rules. (Just the same as it would if you did a base Analytics implementation without TMS and didn't set any page-level variables but only had the s.t() call.)

If you want to suppress a particular tool from loading on certain pages, you would want to use the Customize Page Code option in the respective tool settings.  In there, you would write some conditions in Javascript to define what pages should be excluded and return false in those cases.

Example:

if(window.location.pathname="/some-page-to-exclude.htm") { return false; }

Hope this helps!

-Shawn

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 3

All Analytics tools will fire on every page regardless, at least for a basic page view call, even if you haven't configured any rules. (Just the same as it would if you did a base Analytics implementation without TMS and didn't set any page-level variables but only had the s.t() call.)

If you want to suppress a particular tool from loading on certain pages, you would want to use the Customize Page Code option in the respective tool settings.  In there, you would write some conditions in Javascript to define what pages should be excluded and return false in those cases.

Example:

if(window.location.pathname="/some-page-to-exclude.htm") { return false; }

Hope this helps!

-Shawn

Level 2

There tons of options for doing what you do, and each has pros and cons.  Adobe analytic doesn't care what your site domain URL is, and you don't have to specificed in order for the page to be tracked, however, there are reports that will needs to be configured, such as the InternalURLfillter setting, and the linkinternalfilter setting that needs to be modify based on the URL you are tracking.   I suggest you talk to an implementation engineer either from Adobe or an Adobe Certified Partner.

Level 1

Hi - Thanks for the input. 

My question is around the config of Dynamic Tag Manager when using multiple Adobe Analytics tools not Adobe analytics. Your answer seems to be more around Adobe Analytics

In a web property, you can add add multiple domains for that property. When setting page load rules, you need to set conditions for the right tool to fire. You can specify a domain from that web property profile as a condition as well. Under the adobe analytics option you are presented with check boxes next to each Adobe analytics tool you want to use with that condition. In my situation, I only setup one (analytics) tool to fire, but I am seeing both of them fire on page.

I hope that made my question a a little more clearer. Thanks!

Level 2

It can be a lot of reasons, If you see more than 2 image request shows  up in the DigitalPulse Debugger, it is likely that you might have existing page codes on the site, there might be an extra s.t() call on the page that's firing the request.