Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

DTM Data Layer Basics

Level 2

I'm having trouble getting DTM to recognize my Data Layer variable. I don't know much about JS objects, so I think maybe my problem is just in how I define my Data Layer variable.

First in DTM I created a Data Element called Page_Name

[img]Page_Name.gif[/img]

Notice that I set the default value to "Unknown", which may seem redundant, but I couldn't get s.pageName to take a default value without doing that.

Next I created a Page Load Rule that sets Page name to my object: %Page_Name%

Finally, on my actual page I added this javascript:

<script>
        //data layer
        var Page_Name = "Homepage"
    </script>

But when I save this page and refresh it, I'm still getting "Unknown" in my pageName parameter being sent to Omniture.

Thanks for your help!

Craig    

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Craig,

When you create a Data Element that is pulling in a JS Object like you are attempting do to, you have to provide the name of that object in the "Path" form field.   That is where you would reference the JS variable on the page.  Also I would not name the Data Element the same thing as the JS object to help make it crystal clear what item you are trying to reference.

For more information on Data Elements, please consult the help guide:  https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dtm/#Data_Elements

-Rudi

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

Craig,

When you create a Data Element that is pulling in a JS Object like you are attempting do to, you have to provide the name of that object in the "Path" form field.   That is where you would reference the JS variable on the page.  Also I would not name the Data Element the same thing as the JS object to help make it crystal clear what item you are trying to reference.

For more information on Data Elements, please consult the help guide:  https://microsite.omniture.com/t2/help/en_US/dtm/#Data_Elements

-Rudi

Level 2

thanks Rudi, that cleared it right up!