Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

XT "All Visitors" vs competing Activity priority

Level 2

Hi all, first let me say I've already read this page, and it did NOT help answer my question: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/activities/experience-targeting/create-targetin...

Scenario:

I have two activities:

• XT Activity A: Priority 999, Audience = "All Visitors"
  • XT Activity B: Priority 1, Audience = "AAM Segment 123"

What is the expectation? Will Activity A prevent Activity B from getting any visitors? Or will Activity B still get its targeted audience?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @MaccGizzle 

yes, exactly. For example, when you edit an element in the VEC. First the code from the first activity is executed - and then again from the other activity.

You just have to keep that in mind. If different elements are affected - this is technically less the problem.

What must also be considered is that this can have an effect on the evaluation (metrics). For example, if you want to test in an activity whether a blue button performs better than a green button. But in another activity certain users are shown a CTA before the button. Does it affect the measurement result of the first activity if both are played at the same time and don't have the same audience.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Employee Advisor

Hi @maccg12 

Instead of creating two seperate activities you could create one activity in which first experience wil be AAM segment, and other will be All visitors. This shall resolve your issue.

Level 2

Hi @Gaureshk_Kodag what if I need different "end dates" for the two experiences, how do I keep both in the same activity?

Employee Advisor

@MaccGizzle create audience using timeframe and use seperate timeframe audiences for both experiences.

Level 4

Hi @maccg12 

Assuming both of your Activities are for the same mbox in the form based composer (or component in the VEC); then a visitor will only ever see XT Activity A as it has "All Visitors" as the audience with a higher priority than XT Activity B.

Level 2

This is exactly what I believe is happening according to the Analytics which is showing zero hits for Activity B. 

@Jacob_T1 when you same "mbox" do you mean the same component on a page? What if the two activities were working on different areas of the same page?

Level 4

Hi @MaccGizzle 

Sounds like you are using the Visual Experience Composer (VEC) so what I was saying about "mboxes" isn't applicable to you as this relates to the Form Based Composer.

As mentioned by some others on this thread.. if you have created 2 XT Activities with the VEC that both manipulate the same element on a given page (for example: a banner on the home page of your website) then this will cause a "collision" and only the higher priority XT Activity will be applied. Would explain why you are seeing zero hits for Activity B.

Worth reading these docos:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/experiences/vec/activity-collisions.html

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/target/using/activities/priority.html?lang=en#section_4A0A31... 

Community Advisor

In my opinion, both activities will be played (if the respective audience applies), because they are independent activities.

But if two activities overlap here - the priority determines which activity is executed first. Here you have to be careful, because you have to make sure that the page works even if both activities are played. Not that e.g. one activity removes a selector, which the other activity needs.

Level 2

@Perrin_Ennen how do you define "overlap?" What if both activities are trying to modify the same element? What if they aren't?

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @MaccGizzle 

yes, exactly. For example, when you edit an element in the VEC. First the code from the first activity is executed - and then again from the other activity.

You just have to keep that in mind. If different elements are affected - this is technically less the problem.

What must also be considered is that this can have an effect on the evaluation (metrics). For example, if you want to test in an activity whether a blue button performs better than a green button. But in another activity certain users are shown a CTA before the button. Does it affect the measurement result of the first activity if both are played at the same time and don't have the same audience.