Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Under the hood | How segments defined outside works in Adobe Target?

Level 2

Hi all,

As segments can be created in different systems to be personalized by Adobe Target, I have the following queries-

1. Let's say I define segments based on user behaviors on the website and the most appropriate system for such usecase will be Adobe Analytics. If we publish this segment to Experience cloud, it will be available in all Adobe experience cloud systems, including Target. This segment can then be used to create an activity in Target to personalize the experience. So far so good. Now what I don't get is in which system is visitor segment evaluated based on the rule- In my opinion, it should be Adobe Analytics. And if it is Adobe analytics, how is this visitor segment information received by target- is the whole data replicated to Target or Target calls Adobe Analytics based on some UID e.g. ECID and gets the segment first and then evaluates the activity rules?

2. What if segments are defined in AAM or AEP? Will the process be the same?

3. How can we debug the above easily like fetching a visitor segment using ECID? What are the important APIs to be used for debugging?

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

1.  Answer: Shared segments means for each segment a list of MID/ECID is shared in the destination platforms (Target)

- Segment qualification happens in user level but segmentation activation happens in device ID (ECID/MID) level
- For AEP you will need RT-CDP to share segments in Target   

3. How can we debug the above easily like fetching a visitor segment using ECID? What are the important APIs to be used for debugging?
- When you pass "Target debug token" you will see the segment qualification list in target payload
- Also you can use AAM API and query an user to see list of current segment qualifications

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

1.  Answer: Shared segments means for each segment a list of MID/ECID is shared in the destination platforms (Target)

- Segment qualification happens in user level but segmentation activation happens in device ID (ECID/MID) level
- For AEP you will need RT-CDP to share segments in Target   

- When you pass "Target debug token" you will see the segment qualification list in target payload
- Also you can use AAM API and query an user to see list of current segment qualifications

Level 2

Thank you @abu_shafi 

Trying to understand it better-

1. It is just the mapping between MID/ECID and segments that are shared. Attribute data that qualifies a person to a segment still remains with the source system i.e. AAM or AEP.

2. Can you pls elaborate "Segment qualification happens in user level " more?

3. Can you pls help with AAM API and query to do the same? In my case, I have a segment defined in AA but since it has been published to experience cloud, I do see it in AAM too. However not sure how to identify all the users under that segment in AAM.

Also in this case, would AAM just have ECID/MID and Segmentation mapping or data too that qualified that person to be part of that segment?

Thank you again for your response. It was very helpful.

Community Advisor

You've asked some great questions. Let's address them one by one:

1. When you create a segment in Adobe Analytics and share it with the Experience Cloud, the segment evaluation happens within Adobe Analytics. Adobe Target receives segment qualification information through the Experience Cloud Visitor ID Service (ECID). When a visitor's activity matches the segment rules, their ECID is associated with that segment. Adobe Target then uses this information to deliver personalized experiences based on the segment qualification.

2. If segments are defined in Adobe Audience Manager (AAM) or Adobe Experience Platform (AEP), the process remains similar. Segment evaluation happens within AAM or AEP, and segment qualification information is shared with Adobe Target through the ECID. Adobe Target then uses this information for personalization.

3. To debug and check segment qualification, you can use browser developer tools and various Adobe solutions' APIs. Here are some suggestions:

• Browser Developer Tools: Open the Network tab in the browser's developer tools and filter by "mbox" or "adobedc" requests. Inspect the request payload and response to find segment qualification information for Adobe Target.

• Adobe Analytics APIs: Use the Adobe Analytics APIs (e.g., Reporting API) to fetch segment-related data based on ECID. More information can be found in the Adobe Analytics API documentation.

• Adobe Audience Manager APIs: Use the AAM APIs to fetch segment qualification data, user profiles, or other relevant information.

• Adobe Experience Platform APIs: Use the AEP APIs to fetch segment data, profile information, or other relevant data.

Remember to follow the API documentation and guidelines for authentication and authorization when using these APIs.

Level 2

Vineet18_0-1680781664639.png

Thank you @Hemang35, pasting here a simplified image of what I understood. Please let me know if there is anything wrong.

Community Advisor

Unfortunately, I cannot view the image you've attached. However, I'd be happy to help if you could provide a brief description or outline of the key points you've understood from the previous response. This way, I can verify if you've grasped the concept correctly or if any clarification is needed.

Level 2

Here it is @Hemang35 - pls have a look and let me know.

Vineet18_0-1680875867716.png

0. Segmentation rules are defined in Data & Segmentation System while Experience Activity is defined in Personalization System as part of the set-up activity.
1. A user interacts with a site or mobile app.
2. Interaction data is tracked and sent to the Data & Segmentation System, such as Adobe Analytics, Adobe Audience Manager, or Adobe Experience Platform.
3. The Data & Segmentation System stores the data.
4. Segmentation rules are executed based on the configuration as the data is being stored.
5. Some Data & Segmentation Systems share segmentation and ECID mapping data with Adobe Target, while Target requests this information from other Data & Segmentation Systems that can't share this mapping.
6. Segmentation and ECID mapping data is made available in Adobe Target.
7. Personalized components invoke a Target call for the relevant offer and pass ECID, DeviceID, etc.
8. If the Segmentation and ECID mapping data is not available, Target requests this information from the Data & Segmentation System.
9. Based on the passed ECID and available mapping, Target calculates the relevant offer.
A. The relevant offer is sent back to the Client/Browser/Device.
B. The experience is personalized based on the response.