Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Target MBox.js and Global MBox.js

Level 10

Hi,

1. I understand that mobox.js is replaced by at.js in the recent Target releases. Pl confirm this.

2. at.js resides on the client and heps us to connect with target server, as it has target reference inside.

3. What else is the purpose of at.js?

4. How do we know how many at.js files are required for an implementation?

5. Where does global MBox.js reside? On client or server?

6. Is there a diagrammatic representation of how these two interact with target?

7. How do we know how many Global Mbox.js files are required for an implementation?

Appreciate all your quick replies.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

1. But the client here is a browser correct? YES

2. Does Target have any specific client, other than a browser? NO

3. What is the example (one example for my understanding) of a component functionality in at.js? Read about at.js functions: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/target/ov2/c_target-ats-functions.html

4. If at.js has this code, What code does the Target server have? at.js is a client side of target server so at.js communicate with server to get all information/offers or submit information to server, target server is responsible to process all the request from at.js 

5. Where are MBoxes created? On the specific web sites, where we want personalization from target correct? in your website, yes

6. So, in cases where those sites are developed by another agency, we will just offer the mbox code to the agency and it will be their responsibility to include it on the pages correct? TYPICALLY. Yes and No, you may have to deploy it using DTM on their websites.

7. Assuming that including Mbox code was included in the web site pages, from target side what should we perform, for the MBox functionality? Mbox is just a placeholder, which will  display the offer/recommendation from target server; which you have to configure in target.

Regards,

Amit

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Level 10

Hi rama,

Yes, The at.js library is a new implementation library for Adobe Target designed for both typical web implementations and single-page applications.
The at.js library offers several improvements over the mbox.js library, including:

Completely asynchronous communication via cross domain AJAX
No more blocking calls
No document.write() used
No immediate execution of JavaScript in Target responses
Better timeout and error handling
Customizable timeout per call
No reloads on timeouts
Functions designed specifically for single-page apps/MVC frameworks

Read more for all your answers: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/target/ov2/c_target-atjs-implementation.html

Flow diagram: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/target/ov/c_how_atjs_works.html

Regards,

Amit

Level 10

Hi Amit and all,

Appreciate your response.

I read the documentation at the URL you shared, but could not really get answers to my below queries.

I am a new comer to target and so, kindly address these ASAP.

2. at.js resides on the client and heps us to connect with target server, as it has target reference insided?

How do we know how many at.js files are required for an implementation?

5. Where does global MBox.js reside? On client or server?

7. How do we know how many Global Mbox.js files are required for an implementation?

8. Why do we need Global Mbox.js at all?

Appreciate all your quick replies.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 10

Hi Rama,

2. at.js resides on the client and helps us to connect with target server, as it has target reference insided? Yes, it's loaded just like mbox.js but the at.js library also includes the components that were included in target.js, so there is no longer a call to target.js.

How do we know how many at.js files are required for an implementation? it's like a js library so you need to load this once for your page.

5. Where does global MBox.js reside? On client or server? there is no global MBox.js;  global mbox is like a separate js function.

7. How do we know how many Global Mbox.js files are required for an implementation? there can be one  global mbox on one page.

8. Why do we need Global Mbox.js at all? please read this to understand about global mbox.

for details look for hos this works section.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Amit

Level 10

Thanks Amit for sharing your insights on the query.

Regards

Parit Mittal

Level 10

Hi Parit/Amit,

Sorry for extending the discussion.

at.js resides on the client side and has code for various components.

1. But the client here is a browser correct?

2. Does Target have any specific client, other than a browser?

3. What is the example (one example for my understanding) of a component functionality in at.js?

4. If at.js has this code, What code does the Target server have?

5. Where are MBoxes created? On the specific web sites, where we want personalization from target correct?

6. So, in cases where those sites are developed by another agency, we will just offer the mbox code to the agency and it will be their responsibility to include it on the pages correct? TYPICALLY.

7. Assuming that including Mbox code was included in the web site pages, from target side what should we perform, for the MBox functionality?

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Rama.

Level 10

Hi Rama,

What i understood from above question is that you are new to target so it would be good if you go through the product documentation. this will answer all your questions.

https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/target/target.pdf

Regards,

Amit

Level 10

Hi Amit,

Thanks for sharing the PDF link.

It is a very elaborate document and I would read it slowly.

Meanwhile, if you could answer my queries, it would be very helpful to me.

Appreciate all your support.

Thanks,

Rama.

Correct answer by
Level 10

1. But the client here is a browser correct? YES

2. Does Target have any specific client, other than a browser? NO

3. What is the example (one example for my understanding) of a component functionality in at.js? Read about at.js functions: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/target/ov2/c_target-ats-functions.html

4. If at.js has this code, What code does the Target server have? at.js is a client side of target server so at.js communicate with server to get all information/offers or submit information to server, target server is responsible to process all the request from at.js 

5. Where are MBoxes created? On the specific web sites, where we want personalization from target correct? in your website, yes

6. So, in cases where those sites are developed by another agency, we will just offer the mbox code to the agency and it will be their responsibility to include it on the pages correct? TYPICALLY. Yes and No, you may have to deploy it using DTM on their websites.

7. Assuming that including Mbox code was included in the web site pages, from target side what should we perform, for the MBox functionality? Mbox is just a placeholder, which will  display the offer/recommendation from target server; which you have to configure in target.

Regards,

Amit