Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Profile Script Issue | Fire once per site visit

Level 1

Hi, 

Using a custom profile script, that reads when a visitor has visited a specific URL It will then create & return a score. 

By default the score is 0, if the visitor lands on the page, the score would then increment by 1, Then by using audience rules I can then say after a visitor has seen the experience more than 2 times don't show the experience. 

I want the score to be cleared when a users session has finished, so when they return to the site their score defaults back to 0.

As this is based off the Visitor Profile, I would have to wait until the Visitor Profile is refreshed (14 days by default) for the score to default back to 0.

If I was to use user.isNewSession  and each time its true, it then re-sets the profile score back to 0.

Does this mean after 30 mins of the Visitor not being active it will re-set my score?

Or is their an easier way to have the Profile Scripts fire once by individual Visit, not by the Visitors Profile?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @GregTWC 
If a user returns to the site without clearing cache and cookies , then target would treat the session as same and will put that user in the profile script (if user satisfies the condition) . 

A target session  ends only after 30 minutes of inactivity (silence) or after clearing cache and cookies.
If you want to show the experience on the first visit of a session ,  you can achieve this by writing the profile script that returns the count. Then you can use this profile script in the target activity audience as Visitor Profile (user.yourProfileScriptName > equals > static value > 1)

This will ensure the target delivery only on the first visit of the session. This will deliver the experience even after 30 minutes of the activity or after clearing cache and cookies.

Hope that helps you. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi @GregTWC 
If a user returns to the site without clearing cache and cookies , then target would treat the session as same and will put that user in the profile script (if user satisfies the condition) . 

A target session  ends only after 30 minutes of inactivity (silence) or after clearing cache and cookies.
If you want to show the experience on the first visit of a session ,  you can achieve this by writing the profile script that returns the count. Then you can use this profile script in the target activity audience as Visitor Profile (user.yourProfileScriptName > equals > static value > 1)

This will ensure the target delivery only on the first visit of the session. This will deliver the experience even after 30 minutes of the activity or after clearing cache and cookies.

Hope that helps you.