Highlighted

Upload / Attach File in form

19-06-2008

I'm new to the LiveCycle Designer, so please bare with me.

I need to design a form that will allow a user to link/attach files. When the user submits the form we would like the form to link to the documents like a hyperlink.

Please help the newbie.

Replies

Highlighted

pguerett

20-06-2008

Your options are to attach the document (and have it part of the PDF) or create a link to a file (where it is stored in a common location) and pass around the link. The link would have to to a web server (i.e. an HTTP connection). You will not be able to have a map to a drive or something like \\servername\folder as your link.

Make sense?
Highlighted

20-06-2008

Thanks for the tip, it does make sense, however I do not know how to make this work. I'm interested in both solutions Paul. Can you expand on that please?
Highlighted

pguerett

20-06-2008

If you post your email address I will send you a sample of the programmatic way to attach a file.

For the link approach. I assume that you are referencing the files from a common location. So once we pick the file and know where it is we can create a link like http://servername/foldername/filename based on info we know and info we are passed. Then we simply construct the link name. I like to create a button (because it has a click event) and make it look like a link (no borders, same as the back ground and chnage the text and colour to blue). Does this make sense to you?
Highlighted

23-06-2008

Karen-

Paul sent me some code that did the trick however with a few changes I got it almost working as you described. Let me know if he doesn't get back to you.
Highlighted

26-06-2008

I came across a user that is not able to add attachments. When I preview the PDF in designer it works perfectly. When I distributed the form for testing the user clicks on the add button and there is no prompt to select the files.