Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Unable to open any .IFDs in Designer 7.0 or 7.1

Former Community Member
I am trying to convert some ifd files to pdf. I've tried both Designer 7.0 and 7.1 and the ifds are being saved with Output Designer 5.6. I know when I originally tried to open an IFD in 7.0, before I had OD5.6 installed, it would ask for OD 5.5. I assumed that 7.1 would properly support 5.6 and maybe it does, but when I try and open a brand new, minimal IFD in Designer 7.1 I get this message:

"Configuration file '...\PDF.ICF' has invalid version.'."

Any ideas? Thanks so much!
4 Replies

Former Community Member
I'd say your assumption has been proved false. You would be assuming too much to think there is any sort of connection between OD5.6 and LCD 7.1. I would reinstall OD5.5 (get rid of 5.6) and try again.

Former Community Member
Thanks for your reply! Actually, there does appear to be some connection; ConvertIFD.exe, which was installed under LCD 7.1, was desiring that PDF.ICF file, which is under the OD 5.6 directory structure. However, your advice to uninstall 5.6 and put on 5.5 was sound, and now the situation has been resolved and I can properly open the IFDs. Thanks again.

---

For people wondering about opening IFDs in 7.1 and having an "XML parsing" error, I had that too in many of my IFDs. For me, at least, the solution was making sure that the description of the IFD (where some comments have been stored) did not have an empty space at the end and no illegal characters. Cleaning that up allowed me to open the docs.

Former Community Member
Hi,

What is menat by "Description of the IFD(where some comments have been stored) did not have an empty space at the end and no illegal characters. Cleaning that up allowed me to open the docs. "

I have a same problem.. Pls could u explain more...

Thanks,

Palani

Former Community Member
Hi Palanir,

It's been a while since I looked at this, but I recall in the descriptions that if the text was not plain, I was having problems. That means that unusual symbols (like the ubiquitous square that one often sees when fonts are not set properly) are not allowed. Also, I think that there cannot be a blank space at the end of a description...so just make sure that a genuine letter, period, etc. is the final character in a description.

The description for a file is opened up within Output Designer (I think...it's been a while :)) and under tools or something for that file, there is a free-text area where you can attach notes to a specific ifd file, and that's the area I'm talking about.

XML errors may be caused by other parts of the file as well, but the solution to my errors was by dealing with the above.

Hope that helps!