Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Triggering a Workflow from a File

Former Community Member
Hi there,

The requirement is something like this:

I need to trigger a workflow when a file is moved to a specific folder. As soon as a file is created in one network folder, the workflow should automatically get triggered. Is this possible by somehow?

Suraj
6 Replies

Former Community Member
<Suraj_j@adobeforums.com> ha scritto nel messaggio <br />news:3bc1f22c.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi there,<br />><br />> The requirement is something like this:<br />><br />> I need to trigger a workflow when a file is moved to a specific folder. As <br />> soon as a file is created in one network folder, the workflow should <br />> automatically get triggered. Is this possible by somehow?<br />><br /><br />I used for a prototype a QPAC from Avoka called "Folder Watch". You can find <br />a demo here: http://www.avoka.com/avoka/qpac_library.shtml<br /><br />Bye,<br />Alessio

Level 9
Hi Suraj and Alessio

I'm in the process of writing a short paper on how to do this.

I hope to have this completed in a few days...

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Another way to go about this would be to create an external program that polls the directory and then initiates a workflow via a web-service whenever changes are detected. This is probably essentially what Avoka's QPAC does (minus the web-service part), in a very nice, easy to use package.

Level 9
Hi

When we built WatchFolder, we considered your approach. (You could alternately use the Workflow API's directly, instead of the Web Service interface.)

The nice thing about doing everything as a Workflow is that all the logic of your application lives in a single place - it can be designed and configured by anyone with a copy of WF designer. It also all runs in the same place.

WIth the external program, there's another piece that needs to be configured and managed.

Howard

Former Community Member
I wholeheartedly agree. Plus, a fact that should not be diminished, your way allows for non-programmers (or programmers not wanting to reinvent the wheel) to create workflows simply by drag-and-dropping the QPAC directly to the designer.