Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tabbing through a PDF

Former Community Member
Hello,

I have a PDF fillable form completed with many fields. Right now when I tab between fields it doesn't move from one field to the field right next to it. Instead, it jumps from one field to another a few rows down and then sort of all over the place. How do I set it so that it tabs from one field to the one next to it?

Thank you.
6 Replies

Former Community Member
At the top of the interface, click View>>Tab Order.

Regards,

Dave

Former Community Member
I tried but it sure isn't working for me. I will continue to try. Thank you.

Former Community Member
Once you click on Tab Order, press the shift key and click on the field where you want your tabbing to begin on the first page. Release the shift key and click on the fillable fields in whatever order you want the tabbing to follow. Once you finish the first page, click somewhere in the border of the second page (not on a field). This will set the tabbing focus to the new page. You can then Shift+Click on the first field on the new page and continue setting the tab order through the rest of the form.

Dave

Former Community Member
Thanks. That was very helpful. You ought to be the guy who writes the help manual.

Former Community Member
The tabbing order also seems to have something to do with how the fields are positioned on the page and how sub forms are used. Most of the time I don't have to set the tab order manually as long as I build the form right. I tend to rely on the use of sub forms. I have found that for instance in a row of field that run horizontally on the page with a some check boxes and/or radio buttons interspersed in that row that if those checkboxes or radio buttons are positioned below the text fields that when tabbing those fields are skipped till the end of the row and then I come back to them. I only experienced that when I first started working with Designer.