Expand my Community achievements bar.

Submit PDF Form as Attachment with special Name and Save to Shared Folder

Level 8
Dear ALL,

I need your help.

I designed a PDF Form using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.1 to submit the Leave Form as Email Attachments using the Standard Submit Email Button. This is working fine, but I was requested to add some new features to this Form.

The new feature need not be implemented using JavaScript since I will face some Client Side Security Restrictions. Any suggestion/idea to implement the new features using server side solution or any other method will be appreciated.

The Submit Button must create the Attachment using the User Name Entered in the Form, not using the name of the PDF File.

Also, I was requested to add a new button to Post this Opened PDF Form to the Archiving System and send email as follows:

1. Save the completed PDF Form (after submitting) as a PDF file in a special Shared Folder using a predefined UNC Path.

2. Add a record the MS Access Database of the Archiving System which will generate a unique key and the record will have a Link Field pointing to the saved PDF File.

3. Send a properly formatted HTM Email to the staff in charge of the Follow-Up System (Under Lotus Notes) with the Key generated in the previous step so that he can use it to Link a Follow-Up Document to the PDF System. The linking function under Lotus Notes is LIVE.

I am looking for a solution that will not require any kind of configuration changes on the Client Side. I know some JavaScript Commands have some security restrictions that will not execute unless you wrap them in a special Script File which has to be available on the Client PC which is not a good thing to do for a large number of users.

Any help will be appreciated ...

Tarek.
4 Replies

Level 2
Did you find an answer for your problem?

I'm coping with the same problem.

Simone

Level 8
simone,

Sure, I am glad to help.

I found a solution using different methods, the best one was via a Server Based Solution using ASP.NET and XFA (XML Form Architecture).

For the ideal solution, which is not very easy to do, but you have control of everything, is posted here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3bc38246

Also, there another way which is using Data Connection (OLE DB ..etc) and JavaScript from LiveCycle PDF Form, which is client based, and you may have to do some configuration on the Client PC and may need to deploy some Application Level JavaScript File on a special folder on the Client PC.

You may hit some Security Violations Errors from JavaScript and the solution is to follow these steps:

1. Create a Digital Signature Field,

2. Complete your programming and use try-catch to avoid errors. During the testing phase, you may have to using some dummy values for the script which fails due to Security Errors.

3. Before the Go-Live, you must create a Certificate, and sign the form and choose to Sign and Certify the document.

4. The user who need to use the form which has JavaScript that will fail due to security errors, this user must get the public part of your Certificate and add it to the Trusted Certificates. The for the Trust Setting, you must trust the owner of this certificate to execute JavaScript which require high-security. You can do that by right-click Signature, and try to find the Certificate Properties or something like that. Then goto Security Settings, and Choos Contact, Details, and Edit Trust, then change the trust setting of the concerned contact.

5. With every change to the form fields, the certificate will require re-validation. So, you can use the Acrobat Command javaScript Command "signatureValidate(...)" to re-validate the certificate to make it work as expected.

I did not find a way to create an attachment and change its name for the client based solution. It seems this is pre-defined.

Client based solution might be easy to program, but difficult to implement and deploy for a large number of users, and you cannot control everything.

I hope this has answered you question.

Tarek.

Level 8
The complete server-based solution is posted here:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.3bc38246

which is based on ASP.NET and it can easily be applied to other platforms.

If you need a client based solution, then you will spend a lot of efforts trying to trick Adobe JavaScript Security Engine. I have done it, but it looks very ugly and the code is very complicated. Not recommended.

Tarek.