Expand my Community achievements bar.

Relative Coordinates of an Object

Former Community Member
Hi all,

I'm another newby....I've been designing forms on an Excel platform using VBA, and am going to take a stab at creating similar dynamic forms with LiveCycle.

Here's my first dilemma:

If one creates, for instance, a Text Field with the Height property set to "Expand to fit," how can you relocate a text field or other object that might be positioned below that text field by setting its location to "Relative Coordinates?" When I check the help on this, it talks about Relative Coordinates and says, "Displays the X and Y relative to the parent objects. Relative coordinates are most useful on dynamic forms."

It sure sounds like this is what I want, but I'm having a tough time putting this into practice.

Anyone that can give me a bit more of a clue and how-to will sure make my top-10 list!

Thanks much in advance,

Kent in Alaska
3 Replies

Level 6
Hi Kent,

You need to create a dynamic form with sections defined as subforms. Explaining all of that in this forum would be a bit much, but have a look at the help on subforms. Once you get the hang of "flow content" versus "position content" subforms you'll see how easy it is to do what you're talking about. Be sure to save your design out as "Dynamic PDF", not "Static PDF" (the default). The samples that come with LiveCycle Designer are very good. Check out the Purchase Order sample.

Hope this helps.

Jared Langdon

J. Langdon Consulting, Inc.

Former Community Member
As Jared mentioned the whole concept is too much to go into on the Forum, but to give you a place to start looking, take a look at Flow Content subforms, you'll need to wrap your fields in one in order to have them flow in the manner you want.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Thanks Jarad and Chris, I'll take a look at what your suggesting and see if I can sort it out. I suspect that once I get the basic concept it should go quite easily....

Much appreciated.

Have a great day, weekend, and holiday.

Kent