Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Problem of loosing the rights after sending to Reader Extension

Former Community Member
I am getting a strange error.

I was having a perfectly working version of Reader Extension and Forms Server. I am creating a dynamic PDF Form using the Forms Server. This form is being updated using the Adobe Reader and then submitted back to my application. I am also using ARES to enable rights for adding comments on the PDF document.

I am using Forms Server 6.0 and also ARES 6.0.

This was working fine with Adobe Reader 7.0 but recently I installed the Adobe Reader updates 7.0.1 to 7.0.3. I am not sure if this is related but suddenly I have started getting the following error:

"This document contained certain rights to enable special features in Adobe Reader. The document has been changed since it was created and these rights are no longer valid. Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

I am getting this error not only on the newly created forms and also for earlier forms to which I had dynamically added rights using ARES. These were the forms which were working absolutely fine earlier.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall Reader on my system and also tried to open the document on a system on which the updates had not been done but this has not solved the problem.

Does anyone have any idea of why this problem could suddenly come up into my application.
6 Replies

Former Community Member
Do you have a solution for the problem Harsha? It is the same on my system. thx, regards. phil.

Former Community Member
Were you using an evaluation version of the Reader Extension Server? when the evaluation certificates expire, you can receive this error.

Former Community Member
Yes, it seems the problem was because the evaluation version had expired. I shifted to the new version of Reader Extension and it is working fine.

Former Community Member
Hi,

We are getting the same error and did not have an evaluation so not quite the same.

What it looks like here is if a computer only has Acrobat 7 Reader on it - we don't get the error but if this is a computer that has another version of Acrobat - ie. 7 professional - we do get the error. We can open up the file intially, fill in the form and do a save or save as and close. When you open up the file again to continue filling out the form - it gives you the exact error noted in this post.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Former Community Member
This error is the result of increased document security implemented in acrobat 7. Form server adds config info such as the the targetURL to hidden fields in the pdf. As a result acrobat thinks that the pdf has been modified and invalidates the ARES applied. I'm quite sure that this has been fixed in Reader 7.0.5

cheers

Sylvester R. Adobe Systems

Former Community Member
Hi,

We have encountered the same problem, but are using only RES. When I ran the form through the RES again, it was fine. I was getting the same message as Harsha. I was advised that maybe the pfx file had expired but that was not the case. This is not an eval copy that we used.

Any suggestions to the cause, and possible prevention, of this is greatly appreciated.