Expand my Community achievements bar.

Pre-populated PDF forms and form submission

Former Community Member
Ok, I must be blind or something, I've searched for answers to this question, and see unanswered posts around the web, and if there are answers, they don't help. Perhaps if someone can answer this, it will help many others as well:

I've read about how FDF/XFDF (the older method) can be sent to the client side, which will open the specified PDF file (as specified using the "/F" flag in the FDF) and load the fields values also specified in the FDF (using the /FIELDS and /T flags, etc.). I was recently told that XFA is the new format, but reading the docs is not clear to me.

QUESTION: What is the proper method to pre-populate the FIELDS of a PDF form (created using LiveCycle Designer, or Acrobat, or whatever) that gets sent to a client browser? Changes to this pre-populated data gets re-submited via an HTTP post button (or whatever) back to the server.

Note: At the server backend, say using C# in Visual Studio 2005, I can simply read the posted HTML form and store the fields values into a database; However, I need to be able to pre-populate these PDF forms with selected patient names, etc., so that healthcare officials can complete them more easily BEFORE they get posted back to the server. These pre-populated fields (some of them anyhow) must STILL be editable (not flatten to static text or something).

Thanks.
0 Replies